Cyclist and speeding laws help please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am participating on another forum regarding cyclists and speeding. They are saying that cyclists can be done like motorists for a speeding offence.

This is what I have posted on the forum below

"Yep, speed limit only applies to motorised vehicles.

I get people tell me sometimes that they have seen a cyclist speeding or going too fast along a road. I ask them what was the speed limit of the road. It's normally the 30 or 50 limit. Well I don't know many cyclists that can get to the speed of 30 and I don't know any that can get to 50. So how are these cyclists be going too fast or speeding, when they can't reach the speed limit anyway."

But I need a legal/highway code reference that shows that speeding laws do not apply to cyclists, as they don't believe me.
Can anyone help and provide me with a good source of information?

Many thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On of CC's fuzz will be along to answer.
But I am pretty sure that yes, cyclists are subject to the laws of the road.
So if you are speeding then you can be/will be done.

Richmond Park's speed limit is 20mph.
Many cyclists break this so now and again the bobbies hang about and jump out from behind trees to try catch cyclists that are breaking the speed limit.
We experienced this last year on one of our Rides for Food.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I thought that the speeding laws didn't apply to cyclists - for a start a large number of cyclists don't have calibrated speedometers on their handlebars. In a few places such as the parks there are by-laws that include cyclists in the speed limits. However can't remember the exact law but that cyclists could instead be done for cycling dangerously/recklessly?

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
On of CC's fuzz will be along to answer.
But I am pretty sure that yes, cyclists are subject to the laws of the road.
So if you are speeding then you can be/will be done.

Richmond Park's speed limit is 20mph.
Many cyclists break this so now and again the bobbies hang about and jump out from behind trees to try catch cyclists that are breaking the speed limit.
We experienced this last year on one of our Rides for Food.

The royal parks have a local bylaw in force do different to national speeding laws as far as I am aware.

However they can only do you for furious cycling I believe.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The royal parks have a local bylaw in force do different to national speeding laws as far as I am aware.

However they can only do you for furious cycling I believe.

Ok, that maybe the case....

The fuzz don't seem to stop the London Dynorod mob from acting like prats in the park though.

Reactions: gaz

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, you can be.

Drago

Legendary Member
Expand please.
A cyclist can be stuck on for speeding.

Enormous mitigation for not having a speed measuring device, hence prosecutions are almost unheard of.

Punishment will be a fine, but I don't know what scale (ie, the max amount you can be fined) without checking.

Top Bottom