Cyclist arrested and put in cells for cycling in Hampstead Park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They were going to issue him with a formal warning. Does that mean a fine, or just a warning? I could understand his refusal to give info', if he was going to be fined, but hassling the plod over being told off just isn't worth it.

Drago

Legendary Member
There's an ancillary power under SOCrAP to arrest people who've commited an offence but who refuse to confirm their identity. If he'd given his details he'd have slept in his own bed and not woken up smelling of Eau de Heroin User from the cells previous occupants, and avoided the shredded newspaper mashed in out of date milk breakfast.

His decision to commit the offence, his decision to not give his details as he is lawfully required to do. A waste of taxpayers money because the guy doubtless felt he had a point to prove or (as is often the case) something to hide. Personally I'd have accepted the bollarking.

I read that this guy was a total prat and the stay in cells was more about his attitude and stupidity rather than any cycling offence!

When he refused to give his details so that he could be issued with a formal warning, he was taken to Kentish Town Police Station to spend the night.

The next morning he was brought before a magistrate at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court in Islington, but refused to enter the courtroom, instead shouting from behind the door. Eventually he was handcuffed and brought into the dock.

'nuff said?

Norm

I feel the thread title should have been 'Pillock arrested and put in cells for refusing to give details when stopped for cycling in Hampstead Park'. The arrest was not for being a cyclist, or even for any cycling offences, but for being a nobber and failing part 1 of the Attitude Test.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Does the "Right to remain silent" only apply when a person has been formally arrested?

Drago

Legendary Member
If he's commited an offence he is lawfully obliged to give such reasonable details as a police constable (or PCSO/accredited person, depending on the infraction) may require to identify them.

The "right to remain silent" (thats an American term) applies in interview. downside is that if you exercise that right and then trot out some excuse later on then the Court may draw a negative inference from that.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
TBH if a copper stopped me for something petty* and tried to issue me with a 'formal warning', I'd probably refuse to give details too.

*eg. cycling on a wide empty pavement.

Octet

Veteran
I agree, this excuse that some people give such as privacy concerns and that you don't want your personal information on record is garbage.
Your details are already on record and you probably give out more information to Google, Facebook and other online services in a single day then someone simply asking for your name, address, telephone number etc.

Top Bottom