Cyclist attacked in Cambridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
An aggressive response to aggressions and things escalated...

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
its not always that easy but i do agree
Sometimes it is. Watch Bonus Video 4 at the end of my compilation:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnmoFKVONUk

The picture at the bottom of the page shows him without a helmet. Please dont start another helmet debate!

Writing as a cyclist who rides in a woolly hat or a casquette, I do feel it should be pointed out that a helmet might have lessened the injuries caused by being flung by an angry motorist at street furniture. If this chap is going to make a habit of raising a finger at unhiged road users, a helmet might be just the ticket.

Also... and not wanting to sound like a victim-blaming fascist.... I do not like the idea of a car appearing out of nowhere. I often overtake two cyclists at once in urban traffic. Many of us do. I always have a jolly good look behind before doing so. In over forty years of riding, a car has yet to appear out of nowhere in my lane... Does Cambridge have magic cars, or do some academics ride with their head in the clouds and their eyes facing only forwards?

I'm just saying...

I hope he gets well soon and I don't like the sound of the recurring headaches. Bell do some nice helmets.

Carry on.

Looks like the doc's commenting:

I've just had a quick browse through the comments. For the record: - I had front and back lights, they were functional and they were switched on at the time of the incident. The photograph in the article was a pose taken 3 weeks later by a Cambridge News photographer after the newspaper contacted me asking to run the story. - The person I was in the process of overtaking started overtaking the person in front of him without checking to see if there was anyone behind or next to him. I rang my bell to warn him but he just kept moving into me so I had no choice but to move into the carriageway. - I expressed regret to the reporter about flipping my finger but he omitted this in his article (presumably because it doesn't help fire up controversy, which sells papers). - In any case, you have to understand that the driver arrived very suddenly (was clearly speeding) and honked repeatedly (I'd say at least 5 or 6 times) right next to a group of cyclists, none of whom were swerving erratically nor taking up much of the carriageway (I was out by 1 foot at most according to a colleague who was cycling behind me). This is a pretty aggressive act, especially in the UK where honking is so infrequent. - Given the assailant's subsequent actions, it is clear that he was an intensely violent person. Intensely violent people often behave aggressively while driving so I don't think anyone should be in any doubt that his initial behaviour was provocative and aimed to intimidate a vulnerable group of cyclists on the road.

Top Bottom