Cyclist down, Ashby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
cripes, even if he come out of the impact unscathed the falling bike could have killed him.
get well soon.
Trust he will be compensated - I assume the police are involved.
Good caution on mini roundabouts.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Usual tosh on the Leicester mercury bout it being the cyclist fault yadda yadda
Interesting twist by that Leicester rag... The cyclist is in fact on the correct side of the road if you look at the beginning of the dash cam footage and has right of way to the oncoming white car, like any other vehicle on the road. He takes evasive action in the split second he had and was tagged by the car who was clearly going the wrong way around the roundabout.

Undoubtedly, the driver was completely uninjured and probably had a small dent/scratch, while the cyclist endures a trip to A&E, pain and loss of earnings.

PK99

Legendary Member
Usual tosh on the Leicester mercury bout it being the cyclist fault yadda yadda

Clearly, the driver was at fault.

But, when cycling, I slow for mini roundabouts and, if any other traffic is present, I take the centre of the traffic lane through the roundabout.
It looks to me like the cyclist did neither.

I have seen quite a few cars just ignoring those simple painted roundabouts and just driving across

WHich is fine if there is no traffic around
but that does rely on the driver being correct 100% of the time - in this case they 'didn't see' the cyclist - in other words hadn't looked properly and just did what they normally do
Cyclist had no chance

As far as him 'taking the middle' - looking at where he landed he seems pretty central to me - blaming him does seem a bit of a push!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have seen quite a few cars just ignoring those simple painted roundabouts and just driving across

WHich is fine if there is no traffic around
but that does rely on the driver being correct 100% of the time - in this case they 'didn't see' the cyclist - in other words hadn't looked properly and just did what they normally do
Cyclist had no chance

As far as him 'taking the middle' - looking at where he landed he seems pretty central to me - blaming him does seem a bit of a push!
didnt see i generally read as
"can i get out in time as long i dont get into a smash if the other person brakes ? "

PK99

Legendary Member

central on the wrong side of the centre of the roundabout, his line was always directly across not following the lane.

The driver was at fault but the cycling could have been better and more defensive

From Bikeability:

mini roundabout.jpg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Those photos are horrifying.

This might be a problem of thick window pillars reducing the driver's view of the road.
That, and driving like a nob, obvs.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
central on the wrong side of the centre of the roundabout, his line was always directly across not following the lane.

The driver was at fault but the cycling could have been better and more defensive

From Bikeability:

View attachment 610224
If you watch the entire clip, the cyclist is on the correct side of the road and even hand signals. Perhaps he could approached a little slower although he doesn't appear to be going that fast, but he was dealt with a car swinging in to his lane and obviously panics. He also had priority.

Clip is on Daily flail

Thanks - the full video shows a lot more

I cannot see how the driver did not see the cyclist

At least the car stopped afterwards - see too many reports where they just drive off

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I steeled myself and read some of the Daily Mail comments. Not quite as bad as I feared, but several people thought the cyclist also at fault; and apparently it's "impossible" to drive around a mini roundabout!

Top Bottom