Cyclist down.. But is alive.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rnscotch

Veteran
Just got a phone call from my other half, she is away to the hospital as her brother went head first into the side of a van.

This happened on Royston Road, Glasgow i don't know the full details yet but what i do know is...

There was a bus in front of him it went through the lights ok but then just stopped on the road once it got through the lights, there was no bus stop so it just stopped for what appears to him for no reason (Obviously it has stopped in the middle of a T junction for something) Anyway apparently there was no way he could stop as he was doing about 30, so his options where slam into the back of the bus or go up the inside, he choose the inside when he came out the inside there was a van going right and he went into the side of the van.

So at the moment we don't know if the bus stopped to let the van turn right or if the van has went through the red light that would have been showing for vehicles turning right.

I am assuming the bike is wrecked i don't yet know of what his injuries are just that he is is alive and kicking.

That sounds nasty rnscotch. I hope he is ok. :sad:

Please folks, lets not start judging the rights and wrongs this incident until we know all of the details.

thomas

the tank engine
Sounds nasty! As a kid I once decided I couldn't stop or turn and the best option was to ride into a fence...no real logic to it as I could have easily have stopped/turned.

I think like Lee says it sounds like his was travelling too closley, but all the same not a nice outcome! Speaking for myself at least, I know I've done things that could of ended up worst if situations were different - small lapses in judgement that we usually get away with. I'm pretty sure we've all done things that had situations been different it could have been worst - maybe without even noticing.

garrilla

whatever the circumstances I hope everyone involved is easily mendable, and for those that need to take it as 'a lesson learned'

User3143 said:
''no way he could stop because he was doing about 30'' because he was following to closely more like.

Well yes, it 'seems' that this is the case in this incident. However, we have a second (possibly third) hand account from a cyclist who has had a serious bang on the head. I think it is fair to let the dust clear, that's all.

yello

magnatom said:
Please folks, lets not start judging the rights and wrongs this incident until we know all of the details.

Absolutely.

I know I have a mental image of the incident based on the description but sure as eggs is eggs I know also it'll be wrong.

For now, let's just hope he's ok.

"...doing about '30'..?" :ohmy:

OP
OP
rnscotch

rnscotch

Veteran
First off he is a very very lucky person his helmet split in 2 so looks like it did it's job, Surprisingly he has not suffered any broken bones he is just very battered and bruised and has been sent home to rest. So for me that's good news :sad:

As for the accident it's self, He was coming down the hill too the lights when he came round the bend he saw the bus sitting at a red light this was about 50m in front of him so he started to apply the brakes.

The moment he touched the brake the lights went green and the bus was pulling away from the lights so he came off the brake and started to spin by this time he was about 10m from the bus then he said the bus just stopped right in the middle of the junction, so as i said his options where to splat into the back of the bus or go up the inside he could not see what was happening at the front of the bus as the bus being 15 feet high and about 6 feet wide he can't see over or around it so all the time he is going up the inside he was braking just as he was coming out from the inside of the bus he slammed into the van.

It turn's out the van jumped a red light, the bus stopped as not to crash into the van, the cyclist had no where to go except up the inside and met the van jumping the light so it was all a big chain reaction caused by someone jumping a light.

To be totally honest with me knowing that road as it is the same commute as me i think i would have reacted similar to him except maybe i would not have been going as fast as there is a big difference between my mtb loaded with panniers and his pure breed racer. i was not there so i can't judge.

He is supposed to be heading off to gerona in a few days with his club not too sure if he will be going now.

thomas

the tank engine
He probably made the right call going up the inside but hopefully will be a bit more cautious in the future so he won't get in a similar situation. Hope he gets better soon!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
rnscotch said:
First off he is a very very lucky person his helmet split in 2 so looks like it did it's job, Surprisingly he has not suffered any broken bones he is just very battered and bruised and has been sent home to rest. So for me that's good news :?:

If the helmet split in 2, it didn't do it's job, it just failed. Either way he was lucky, you should always be able to stop within the distance you can see, you can never tell when some tosser is going to RLJ...

gavintc

Guru
Hairy Jock said:
If the helmet split in 2, it didn't do it's job, it just failed. Either way he was lucky, you should always be able to stop within the distance you can see, you can never tell when some tosser is going to RLJ...

Not my understanding of how helmets work. I always believed that a helmet like a car front end is supposed to 'fail' to absorb the impact. Certainly it was the way the last 2 helmets which I have looked at just after head first accidents have worked.

Top Bottom