Cyclist down - Castle Donington

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
Thanks again. Got my bike back from a workmate who collected it from accident scene and I have taken it to LBS for checking.
The rear wheel has a slight buckle, but can be repaired, and there are scratches on the frame paintwork. I had two front lights fitted, one is broken ( the cheap one)and the other is missing (not so cheap one!), it must have fallen off on impact.
So it would appear that everything bikewise is okay, and there is not much to claim for - just a case of how soon the engine repairs itself, lol!

With regards to cycling into the wedding - best not - it gets windy in Kintyre and I will be in full and proper highland dress !!!

Thanks again. Got my bike back from a workmate who collected it from accident scene and I have taken it to LBS for checking.
The rear wheel has a slight buckle, but can be repaired, and there are scratches on the frame paintwork. I had two front lights fitted, one is broken ( the cheap one)and the other is missing (not so cheap one!), it must have fallen off on impact.
So it would appear that everything bikewise is okay, and there is not much to claim for - just a case of how soon the engine repairs itself, lol!

With regards to cycling into the wedding - best not - it gets windy in Kintyre and I will be in full and proper highland dress !!!

As much as I despise tort law you need to push for injuries. Her carelessness injured you and cost you earnings. If you can prove this a tort law firm (no-win no-fee) will recover it for you. The law is there for this and at worst you could end up with money to cover what you lost.

My first hit I didn't follow this, although the woman had her insurers replace my bike. The second hit I had refused to admit liability and I was forced to go down this route.

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
As much as I despise tort law you need to push for injuries. Her carelessness injured you and cost you earnings. If you can prove this a tort law firm (no-win no-fee) will recover it for you. The law is there for this and at worst you could end up with money to cover what you lost.

My first hit I didn't follow this, although the woman had her insurers replace my bike. The second hit I had refused to admit liability and I was forced to go down this route.

I am exactly the same as you in despising "ambulance chasers" - but then I think, why should she just go home and forget about the implications (sp?) of her actions, while others (me) have to suffer both physically and financially, not to mention the inconvenience and distress she has caused to me and my family.

Only found out today that while I was being strapped to the backboard in the ambulance, she was panicking about when she had last had an alcoholic drink !! Why oh why did the police not turn up? (the paramedics cancelled the request for their attendance when we were leaving the scene some 40 minutes after they were first called)

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
WTH? Do you even have an incident number and/or her car reg?

Oh yes. Got the incident number and all her details which she volunteered. The police have also given me the name of her insurance company, and her policy number.

Mad at urage

MoG, 'even' the police want you to go for a claim against her using a 'no-win, no-fee' lawyer! Can't you see why?

They know, based on their experience of the courts that they probably won't succeed in getting her for careless driving (police don't make the decision on what is charged, if anything); even if she goes to court and is found guilty (and driving straight into the back of you on a r'bout, she's guilty as satan), the bias towards car drivers in the courts make it likely she will just get a minimum penalty.

The only way (legally) to make careless drivers take any notice (and discourage the others they will inevitably tell their tale to), is to hit them in the wallet.

You are, due to her carelessness with a potentially lethal weapon, deprived of earnings (keep a note of what days you have to take off work, what overtime you miss etc), in pain and discomfort from injury, at risk of ongoing pain (whiplash and bruised bone never fully heals, believe me!) in addition to the extra outlay for collecting the bike (you did recompense the mate who collected it, right ? :thumbsup: ) and getting it fully repaired to the condition it was in before she drove into you.

It isn't about "the compensation culture", it is about the one way left in this society, to punish the anti-social.

Oh and - glad you're OK and heal soon :hello: .

Top Bottom