Cyclist Down - Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unfit Fifer

Morning All,

Male cyclist down on Q'ferry Road , Edinburgh at 0830 this morning. It was just at the before the dip before Aitken & Niven. Blues and Two's were there but the chap was not moving at all.

Hope all is OK but you can build up a fair pace down that hill. Looked like oncoming car was turning right and hit him on the inside. Looked like a fairly standard hybrid and hi viz jacket.

Also, thanks to the chap on the Giant Rd Bike that squeezed past me on Dean Bridge - Always good to test your balance skills at 8AM!

Fingers crossed it isn't serious.:sad:

habibi

For me, that very spot is the dodgiest part of the Fife-Edinburgh commute, with impatient (often elderly) motorists turning off the hill onto residential side streets, mistiming the cyclist coming down the steep hill. The northbound Kirkliston slip road coming off the A90 at Burnshot being a close second for dodginess. Hope the cyclist recovers quickly.

OP
OP
U

Unfit Fifer

yep - I would agree with that - I am always mega cautious when passing any of the junctions on either side of that Road. I do think that sometimes cyclist are guilty of flying down that hill when the traffic is stationery without to much regard for those junctions. :whistle:

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Where is that?

Googling...

Oh. OK. In a panic there for a moment, but it's off Frood's commute. Probably too late for him anyway. And he rides a Cross bike.

Wow. I really did panic there. I just saw cyclist down on Queensferry Road and got really worried.

Phew. I feel very badly for whoever it was, but I'm glad it wasn't my other half. Hope whoever it is will be okay.

Sam

fimm

Veteran
Phew. I feel very badly for whoever it was, but I'm glad it wasn't my other half. Hope whoever it is will be okay.

Me, too.
Even though there is no reason for my boyfriend have been cycling along the Queensferry Road this morning, I did have a worry until I got a (completely unrelated) email from him!

Best wishes to the cyclist.

I can only hope the reason he wasn't moving was because the paramedic wouldn't let him.

OT - Dean Bridge can be strange sometimes. A long way back in recent history now (at least 10 years) a bloke heading northbound picked up too much speed clipped the kerb and catapulted over the wall falling 30 or 40ft to the verge below. Miraculously there was no serious injury but he lay there for hours, its hard to imagine in broad daylight nobody saw him lose control!

habibi

<br />OT - Dean Bridge can be strange sometimes.  A long way back in recent history now (at least 10 years) a bloke heading northbound picked up too much speed clipped the kerb and catapulted over the wall falling 30 or 40ft to the verge below.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I still think about that incident sometimes, when I'm picking up speed while making the turn onto Dean Bridge proper, as you do... he was very unlucky to go over the side, but also very very lucky to land on a ledge on the way down.

Marty

I cycled past this accident as well - it didn't look good and I hope the cyclist is OK.
The police and ambulance had blocked off the whole inbound lane.
I came a cropper at this very intersection this time last year and cracked a rib (plus a few nasty grazes) - same time on a sunny day.

For me it was stationery traffic, a bus flashed to let a car turn across.

The bus driver didn't look (or didn't see) on the inside cycle lane and the car & I didn't see each other until it was too late (she assumed it was safe to turn after being signalled by the bus).​

Luckily for me I was wearing a helmet (of course!!!), and a back pack with a towel and change of clothes, as I travelled the width of the intersection and landed on the far curb on my back, I think that extra padding saved me from an extremely serious injury and I was able to walk away.

Now I'm much more conscious of "danger spots" like this one. I think the intersection of Dean Park Crescent and Queensferry Rd (just before Dean Bridge) is another really precarious spot where traffic often congests. Drivers just don't expect to see you there, or moving so quickly, as I often am.

On a positive note,
  • my backpack and helmet saved me
  • LOTS of people stopped to make sure I was OK including the bus driver, the lady who drove the car that hit me, and even the lolly pop man from the dip who I still wave to every day :-)
  • I walked away.
I hope this cyclist makes a speedy recovery.

Cheers to all.
Marty

I_am_Lono

Hope the fella's ok. I commute down that way when the nights are too dark on the Dean Path (totally pitch black and my two Smarts aren't up to the job of picking out the route) and always tense up a bit when coming onto the Dean Bridge (road surface is frequently greasy, pinch point coming onto the bridge), and the curve left past the church. I find that the Stagecoach buses tend to be the worst culprits for squeezing you/cutting the corner. Last week a driver of the X55 overtook me just past the bridge and rejoined the left lane far too soon. I was doing about 27mph fixed, he considerably more, and his back wheels were actually on the curb, no more than 5 feet in front of me. Cue the usual blissful ignorance when I caught up to him at the next set of lights. Could these drivers use the same training that the [usually] more considerate Lothian Buses drivers get?

Top Bottom