Cyclist Down - its Jeremy Vine!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
If I was part of his family I would be worried about head injuries after that one
If his brother made a characteristic pun then I'm sure he would be on for a head injury too...

I don't even know why he would ride a penny farthing, bicycles became much safer after decimalisation.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Jeremy must be incredibly tall if he was 8 feet off the ground -his legs must be about 4 feet long to pedal such a big wheel. Or have the journalists been massaging the facts again for the sake of dramatic effect? How many years has he been riding this one without any incidents I wonder. Must be fun to ride one in the right environment.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Jeremy must be incredibly tall if he was 8 feet off the ground -his legs must be about 4 feet long to pedal such a big wheel. Or have the journalists been massaging the facts again for the sake of dramatic effect? How many years has he been riding this one without any incidents I wonder. Must be fun to ride one in the right environment.

Indeed and if you referred to road bikes in the same way , you could say riders of those are 6 feet off the ground. When I walk around I am 6 feet off the ground, should I be worried?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Smoking that stuff wouldn't help his riding ability.

I suppose I should have said he was off his head on some grass 😂

PK99

Legendary Member
There is a reason geared bicycles as we know them were initially called Safety Bicycles in contrast to Penny Farthings or Ordinaries.

Taking a header was rather unpleasant.

1645036786624.png

1880 Penny farthing vs 1885 Rover Safety bicycle.

Chris S

Legendary Member

The cranks are the usual length, about 6 or 7 inches. They're not the same length as the radius of the wheel.

Top Bottom