Cyclist down, Kentish Town.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

http://www.thecnj.co.uk/camden/2008/062608/news062608_15.html

news15.jpg

Wrecked bike by road worksWoman cyclist seriously injured in lorry crash

A CYCLIST was rushed to hospital yesterday afternoon (Wednesday) with injuries to her legs after colliding with a lorry.
The woman in her 40s hit a timber lorry in Royal College Street, Camden Town.
Clothes and bicycle parts could be seen strewn across the street behind police cordons. A paramedic team arrived by helicopter and took the cyclist to Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel by ambulance.
A police spokesman said the woman was in a “serious” condition last night.
Kingsley Okolie, 22, a shop assistant at nearby Cash Converters, said: “Her legs were just shattered. I wanted her to lie down but she just sat bolt upright in shock. All of a sudden she just lay down and all her muscles were twitching.”
Mr Okolie looked on as paramedics carried out two resuscitation attempts.
He said since road works started a few months ago he had seen a number of “near misses”.
The works are intended to make the road safer according to Camden Cycling Campaign member, John Chamberlain, who lives in Highgate Road, in Dartmouth Park.
“Obviously we don’t know what happened but these junctions are notorious for these types of accidents where cyclists are proceeding straight on and lorries are turning left,” he said.
“It again illustrates the vulnerability of cyclists particularly to heavy goods vehicles. Our thoughts are with the victim and her family.”

OP
OP
S

spindrift

My understanding is the lorry hit her from behind.

PBancroft

Jeez. The woman in her 40s hit a timber lorry.

Doesn't sound like she was hit from behind, unless she was cycling backwards.

Pedantry aside, I hope she makes a full recovery. I know I'll be looking behind me when I hear that rumble in future.

Domestique

Über Member
Very sad.
Legs are very repairable, but this doesnt sound good.
In some ways this type of reporting lets people know, who dont seem know, what damage a motor vehicle does when there is a collision with a cyclist. I am not saying who is a fault in this instance, but to me there seems an attitude of 'I have the right of way, I dont care' regardless of how vulnerable other road users are.

Top Bottom