Cyclist escapes prosecution after fatal collision with pensioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like some speed bumps or other traffic calming might be in order.

I've never been there, so that could be a daft suggestion.
Not daft at all. Or perhaps cycles should be banned from the park entirely.
There are always going to be issues when road users and pedestrians share the same space.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
There are always going to be issues when road users and pedestrians share the same space.

They are banned from the park - these collisions happened on the road that circles the park.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
“Apparently, the cyclist didn’t slow down but overtook the car by going around the pedestrian island on the wrong side of the road where I was crossing.

@Drago
Am I correct in recalling that you once said a motorist going around a traffic island on the wrong side of the road would automatically face a Dangerous Driving charge, even if no pedestrians were present?

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
They are banned from the park - these collisions happened on the road that circles the park.

Not so!

https://www.royalparks.org.uk/visit...ycling is permitted within,, Chester Road etc.).

1715509491429.png

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Maybe ban dog owners from crossing the outer circle road, that also appears to be a common theme.

Jenkins

Legendary Member

You sure of that? It's not my neck of the woods but I'm pretty sure I've ridden through it a couple of times.

Edit: beaten to it by @PK99
Ah - apologies, I didn't realise there were these internal roads within the Park. I thought that there were only the paths that cross it which were clearly marked as "No cycling" when I was looking to plan a ride there in March.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Royal Parks have called for a route in Regent’s Park to be removed from time trial apps after an 81-year-old woman was struck and killed by a speeding cyclist.

The Royal Parks, which runs eight of London’s famous outdoor spaces, has written to Strava and other GPS app companies demanding the Outer Circle be removed from their tracking devices.

Telegraph on-line

Last edited:

tinywheels

Über Member
I question the intelligence of anyone riding that route in such a manner.
Anyone riding regularly in London knows pedestrians are not aware of their surroundings for large tracts of time.
Likewise some number of cyclists take hair raising chances to keep momentum.
A recipe for disaster played out on a daily basis.

Alex321

Veteran
Royal Parks have called for a route in Regent’s Park to be removed from time trial apps after an 81-year-old woman was struck and killed by a speeding cyclist.

The Royal Parks, which runs eight of London’s famous outdoor spaces, has written to Strava and other GPS app companies demanding the Outer Circle be removed from their tracking devices.

Telegraph on-line

That isn't going to happen.

None of the GPS app companies are just going to remove public roads from their apps.

The most they might do is mark any segments using those roads as "hazardous", thus removing them from any KOM measures.

Brandane

Legendary Member
“Apparently, the cyclist didn’t slow down but overtook the car by going around the pedestrian island on the wrong side of the road where I was crossing.

@Drago
Am I correct in recalling that you once said a motorist going around a traffic island on the wrong side of the road would automatically face a Dangerous Driving charge, even if no pedestrians were present?

NOT automatically dangerous driving (that would depend on the circumstances), but dangerous is hard to prove, so normally the charge would be a contravention of the Road Traffic Act 1988, section 36 (failing to obey a traffic sign - in this case the keep left bollard on the traffic island).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5...F0nUoO60pE5Fsmzw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

both accidents appear to have occurred ^^ here:
Ms Dos Santos said she read about Mrs Griffiths’ death and was “deeply upset” that two serious collisions had taken place at the same spot.
“I am lucky to be alive. I was apparently unconscious for about 20 minutes, it was a very violent collision,” she added, explaining how the pedestrian island is used by families with toddlers crossing to the Hanover Gate children’s playground in the park.
“Why has nothing been done to make that crossing safer for pedestrians? It needs speed bumps or a zebra crossing,” Ms Dos Santos said.

Whilst there are two "island crossings" they also have traffic lights with pedestrian buttons. There is no suggestion red lights have been jumped, in the second one the cyclist was on wrong side of road overtaking a car.

One can only assume both pedestrians didn't wait to activate the lights in the relatively sparse early morning traffic, but crossed relying on their senses.

Top Bottom