Cyclist fighting Cancer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
i bought some new lights this affy from Evans in Brentford , when at the till I was asked if I wanted to round up to a pound , the extra pence would go to this Charity ,
I agreed. When the purchase was finalised , the shop manager took me into the workshop and shewn me a brand new Hybrid that had been donated to a local Cancer sufferer,
Well Done Evans !!

classic33

Leg End Member
Fair play to them.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Good. I love to hear stories like this and I love the idea of rounding up going to charity.

robgul

Legendary Member
. . . and a bit more info about Cyclists Fighting Cancer, a registered charity . . . the HQ is located at Alderminster, near Stratford-upon-Avon - it's all about raising money to provide bikes and trikes, both standard and specially adapted, for children with various forms of cancer . . . for exercise, rehabilitation, re-establishing self-esteem etc. Evans is a partner in that they will assemble bikes supplied through CfC for recipients local to their stores.

The other interesting thing is that CfC runs, in addition to cycling and other events, the "Charity Bike Shop" at the HQ - bikes of all sorts are donated (from real BSO clunkers to some almost new stuff - with some brand new ex-demo etc bikes) that are fettled as required and then sold in the shop with all the cash going to the charity - there is also a range of donated clothing and accessories (much of it brand new from end-of-line, surplus stock etc)

I've known the founder of CfC, Mike Grisenthwaite, for about 10 or 12 years - the shop is a new venture as from September 2016 and has really taken off since then with lots of bikes passing through. I volunteer at the shop a day a week, fettling bikes and looking after the customers in the shop (I made the first sale of 2017 at 1015 on Tuesday 3 January!!)

If you have bike(s), accessories etc do consider donating them for CfC to turn them into cash for the charity. http://www.cyclistsfc.org.uk/

Rob

Last edited:

robgul

Legendary Member
To be honest , who would miss them rounding up to the nearest £5 or 10 ?
Bloody Marvellous Mike G !!
BTW @robgul you need to put the proper link up to the site ,
Not being a CC copper , but that link is not the one ,
But a proper nice post !! Well Done

Oops - now fixed. Thanks!

Rob

Another great story from a sport that has donated millions over the years, L2B being one example, countless others of course. Proud to be part of it.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I do like to see bigger companies genuinely doing their bit. I find that a lot of larger companies try too hard to appear compassionate in regards to charities and I'd rather give the money to the charity directly rather than via the company. The good thing about donating bikes is that it's accountable. If a charity gets £50,000 there's no real way of knowing how much of that money actually gets where it's supposed too.

greekonabike

Yes and no one is really willing to challenge them due their line of business? We all hope the max amount of money is targeted to the needy.

Pretty much. I'd be interested to know if there are any statistics regarding charitable donations that provide a thorough breakdown of where the money goes. I think as charities get bigger the problem gets worse as they (understandably) have higher operating costs.

GOAB

Pretty much. I'd be interested to know if there are any statistics regarding charitable donations that provide a thorough breakdown of where the money goes. I think as charities get bigger the problem gets worse as they (understandably) have higher operating costs.

GOAB
Hopefully the Charities Commission does its bit, hopefully better than the FSA managed tha Banks 10 years ago!

I do like to see bigger companies genuinely doing their bit. I find that a lot of larger companies try too hard to appear compassionate in regards to charities and I'd rather give the money to the charity directly rather than via the company. The good thing about donating bikes is that it's accountable. If a charity gets £50,000 there's no real way of knowing how much of that money actually gets where it's supposed too.

Indeed. I volunteer for my local branch of a well-known national cat welfare charity - I give my time and my skills as a photographer, along with regular donations of food, specials / prizes for our various fundraising events and homemade cakes for said events. That way I know that what I do goes to where it's needed. Far better than chucking cash into a collection box.

Re charities that do things with bikes, there's a local one that runs clubs, activities and a cafe for the benefit of a lot of folks in the area. They have a shop that sells and reconditions bikes to help raise money: http://www.yplittleport.co.uk/page16.html

Plan on having a mosey down there myself at some point.

greekonabike

Indeed. I volunteer for my local branch of a well-known national cat welfare charity - I give my time and my skills as a photographer, along with regular donations of food, specials / prizes for our various fundraising events and homemade cakes for said events. That way I know that what I do goes to where it's needed. Far better than chucking cash into a collection box.

Re charities that do things with bikes, there's a local one that runs clubs, activities and a cafe for the benefit of a lot of folks in the area. They have a shop that sells and reconditions bikes to help raise money: http://www.yplittleport.co.uk/page16.html

Plan on having a mosey down there myself at some point.

Like you I'd rather give items I know are needed or volunteer my time. I'm happier doing that than giving them money, I think I'm just incredibly cynical about how charities handle their money. A friend of my grandfather was a very wealthy man and when he died he left a lot of money to charity. My grandad was told how this money should beallocated and iirc it was given in chunks rather than the full amount. He experienced so much grief from the charities he's glad to see the back of it.

I might see if there's a cycling charity close to me that I can volunteer for one day a week. I'd feel happier combining some volunteer work with something I enjoy anyway.

GOAB

Top Bottom