Cyclist fighting Cancer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I might see if there's a cycling charity close to me that I can volunteer for one day a week. I'd feel happier combining some volunteer work with something I enjoy anyway.

GOAB

Sounds like a good plan :okay:

I now combine cycling with volunteering - instead of driving to the various fosterers to photograph cats for the website, I take the bike. :smile: Which I will probably be doing again at some point this coming week.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I know of one national charity who's Local operation is very ineptley organised , not offering the community anywhere near the services it should , and yes , things were said on the record to relevant persons , and they have had their contracts dissolved in certain areas , but it seems some charity officers are a law unto themselves , and is reluctance by the regional/national head offices to do anything about these rogue groups , .
However , this one looks ok to me , also , I would imagine that Evans have done their homwork on this Lad before they comitted themselves , I have a way of getting stuff up to him , I have 2 complete bikes ready to go and a host of wheels , tyres and other stuff to donate , if anyone else has similar I can collect and take them
Up in the van , so if you are within a reasonable distance from Richmond , Surrey or on route , via the M40 , maybe we can do a couple of runs , let me know

robgul

Legendary Member
I know of one national charity who's Local operation is very ineptley organised , not offering the community anywhere near the services it should , and yes , things were said on the record to relevant persons , and they have had their contracts dissolved in certain areas , but it seems some charity officers are a law unto themselves , and is reluctance by the regional/national head offices to do anything about these rogue groups , .
However , this one looks ok to me , also , I would imagine that Evans have done their homwork on this Lad before they comitted themselves , I have a way of getting stuff up to him , I have 2 complete bikes ready to go and a host of wheels , tyres and other stuff to donate , if anyone else has similar I can collect and take them
Up in the van , so if you are within a reasonable distance from Richmond , Surrey or on route , via the M40 , maybe we can do a couple of runs , let me know

Just to clarify the point you make about Evans (assuming I'm not misunderstanding you) - the bike that was ready for the recipient at the Evans store would have been funded and provided directly by Cyclists fighting Cancer at Stratford (as a result of an application and assessment) ... the contribution from Evans was to assemble the bike locally ready for collection by the recipient (or his/her parents)

The new bikes/trikes from CfC are either assembled from the boxes at the HQ (that's one of my tasks) and delivered on the CfC van within reasonable distances - or a boxed bike is sent to, for example, the nearest Evans store to be built up and the PDI carried out on behalf of CfC.

AND what a fantastic idea to organise a van pick-up run for donations of bikes etc. - just keep 'em coming!

[Shop is on the main A3400 just south-east of SuA and is open, winter hours, 1000 - 1600 Monday - Saturday ... but best to give a call to make sure. My usual day is Tuesday]

Rob

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Just to clarify the point you make about Evans (assuming I'm not misunderstanding you) - the bike that was ready for the recipient at the Evans store would have been funded and provided directly by Cyclists fighting Cancer at Stratford (as a result of an application and assessment) ... the contribution from Evans was to assemble the bike locally ready for collection by the recipient (or his/her parents)

The new bikes/trikes from CfC are either assembled from the boxes at the HQ (that's one of my tasks) and delivered on the CfC van within reasonable distances - or a boxed bike is sent to, for example, the nearest Evans store to be built up and the PDI carried out on behalf of CfC.

AND what a fantastic idea to organise a van pick-up run for donations of bikes etc. - just keep 'em coming!

[Shop is on the main A3400 just south-east of SuA and is open, winter hours, 1000 - 1600 Monday - Saturday ... but best to give a call to make sure. My usual day is Tuesday]

Rob

In the first part yes , the bike is a Dawes Hybrid assemled only by Evans ready for the reciepient ,
The Evans Shop is the one iin Brentford W London

Hope fully , CC ers will contribute some stuff, we are 95 miles from the SuA area , so no problem , I will posr a date of my intended run up there , so anyone who has got anything to donate can let me know, A weekend would prob be favourite , also I may be doing a sports center in Worcester , so Ill be popping up down there for a couple of weeks

robgul

Legendary Member
In the first part yes , the bike is a Dawes Hybrid assemled only by Evans ready for the reciepient ,
The Evans Shop is the one iin Brentford W London

Hope fully , CC ers will contribute some stuff, we are 95 miles from the SuA area , so no problem , I will posr a date of my intended run up there , so anyone who has got anything to donate can let me know, A weekend would prob be favourite , also I may be doing a sports center in Worcester , so Ill be popping up down there for a couple of weeks

Brilliant! - let me know . . . if a Sunday suits it should be possible for me to nip down to the shop (10 mins drive from home) with a bit of notice.

Rob

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
There are a number of places where you can get such information - including the Charity Commission itself.

You need to be quite discerning about some of the comparator sites though. One of the most reliable and transparent is GiveWell which is US-based but does cover some UK charities.

As an aside, there was some speculation on here and in the media about the International Rescue Committee after how much their chief exec (David Miliband) emerged. It's actually quite highly rated by most researchers. Be careful about taking what is in the press as a guide...

Thanks for the info. I think I'm just being over cynical about the finances of charities. I'll give that a read through.

GOAB

It does depend muchly from one charity to another.

The one I volunteer for, the local branches are, barring grants for neutering, agreements with suppliers for good deals on essentials and the generic publicity / advice leaflets, entirely self-funded. The money we raise goes directly towards the work we do. If you donate via head office, then that money invariably gets swallowed up in admin. In terms of financial stability, we are one of the better branches in the UK.

My mum volunteered for a local branch of a different charity. All monies raised *had* to be sent directly to head office - it was not for branch use. The branch had to apply for a funding grant to maintain premises, provide for upkeep and cleaning of equipment, even for the tea & coffee kept in the kitchen for the use of volunteers. On the ground, the volunteers were run off our feet as it was a very busy branch providing a vital service in a rural area, but head office pulled the plug as they said it was hemorrhaging money. The premises were converted into two posh town houses and sold.

DRM

Guru
The Bike channel have been showing a documentary about the race across europe, which I think was a charity ride in aid of cyclists fighting cancer, the event was from Russia to Portugal, a really interesting programme, worth a watch if you can.

robgul

Legendary Member
Yep - Mike the CfC founder was in the film so I understand.

Rob

Top Bottom