Cyclist "hit and run" Daily Mail bum gravy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

modify_inline.gif
Daily Mail- Evil hit-and-run cyclist leaves pretty tousle-haired girl for dead:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oment-daughter-knocked-left-dead-cyclist.html

This Is Gloucester- the cyclist remained on the scene, gave her version of events and has not been arrested or charged:

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co...es-cyclist/article-190248-detail/article.html

How very odd.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

I'll be interested to see whether they dare print it.

If they do, I promise to attend the next CM in a flowery summer frock mate.

I reckon that cyclist, haveing been accused in print of "speeding" (no such offence) and leaving the scene of an accident may well have a claim for libel, the PCC at the very least!

TWBNK

Wow, I love the daily mail. I gave up trying to post comments that don't jump on the bandwaggon of hysteria because somehow they just don't get published.

I don't know why but I still buy it though.

Smoothhound

The Daily Mail always has to twist any story to fit it's relentlessly negative world view. Embellishment, mis-representation and outright lying are all acceptable in order to achieve it ;)

benjus

Did you know that thisisgloucestershire originally reported this as a hit & run?

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co...ghter-mown/article-190121-detail/article.html

Seems like a typical Daily Mail tactic - report without the full facts on the most hysteria-inducing scenario, then do another report and conveniently forget the first one. Of course, the entire thisis... network, and the local newspapers they publish are owned by the Daily Mail group. The Gloucester newpapers published in thisisgloucestershire are published by GloucestershireMedia, which is part of Northcliffe Media, which is part of the Daily Mail group.

The police confirm that the cyclist stayed at the scene: http://www.gloucestershire.police.uk/Latest News/Press Releases/2008/June/item8336.html

However, if she was cycling on the pavement when she hit the girl she doesn't deserve much sympathy even if she did stop. Pavement cycling is one of the things we are most criticised for, and there really isn't any excuse for doing it.

domtyler

Über Member
Yeah adults cycling at speed on the pavements are an absolute menace. She should be dealt with in the harshest possible way if found guilty.

It looks like one of those roads closed off with bollards, it is probably one of the local cycle routes. I expect it was one of those happened in a moment things where the kid stepped backwards off the kerb and bounced off the cycle into the bollard, cyclist distracted by the workman fixing the doorbell and so not paying full attention on a route she rides everyday, kid not paying attention either and wham, if she had missed the bollard it would have been a cut knee and crying, as it is I can only say I'm glad it looks like she will make a full recovery.

andyfromotley

I'm sorry am i going mad?? Did the mail article say this was a hit and run?? Its just i read it and didnt see that anywhere in the article, although of course i may have missed it.
Please clarify...i am confused
andy

benjus

Notice the date:
By Luke Salkeld Last updated at 10:39 AM on 17th June 2008

Google cache still has the previous version:

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 1:26 PM on 16th June 2008

Millie Harrop, 5, was left for dead after being hit by a cyclist
A mother has told of her horror after watching her five-year-old daughter being knocked down by a cyclist and left for dead.
Millie Harrop lay fighting for her life on the pavement on St Paul's St South after the hit and run accident.

Also the link name gives it away slightly:

Mother-tells-terrifying-moment-daughter-knocked-left-dead-cyclist

They are stuck with that!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Funny, when I first read the article I thought it did mention hit and run. Went back after your post to read it again, and no mention of it. Thanks Benjus for posting the google cache version -that explains it! Of course, no mention of an apology -if I was the cyclist, I'd definitely want an apology from the Mail.

However, what's even scarier is reading the comments given on the Mail article web page. It's pretty much all one way traffic -one can only hope they will be so rabidly for sternly prosecuting a motorist when they mow down a cyclist. Well, we can hope can't we?

It's going to be interesting to see how the story unravels -what really happened, where the cyclist was, how fast she was going, etc. I'm sure the truth can never interfere with a good sensational news story though.

Anyway, regardless of all of that, the most important thing is that I hope the little girl is OK.

andyfromotley said:
I'm sorry am i going mad?? Did the mail article say this was a hit and run?? Its just i read it and didnt see that anywhere in the article, although of course i may have missed it.
Please clarify...i am confused
andy

Top Bottom