1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyclist "hit and run" Daily Mail bum gravy.

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by spindrift, 17 Jun 2008.

1. spindrift

spindrift New Member

2. Regulator

Regulator Political refugee. Fan of Adrian.

My response on the Daily Wail web-site:

I'll be interested to see whether they dare print it. ;)

3. OP
    OP
    spindrift

spindrift New Member

I'll be interested to see whether they dare print it.

If they do, I promise to attend the next CM in a flowery summer frock mate.

I reckon that cyclist, haveing been accused in print of "speeding" (no such offence) and leaving the scene of an accident may well have a claim for libel, the PCC at the very least!

4. TWBNK

TWBNK Well-Known Member

Wow, I love the daily mail. I gave up trying to post comments that don't jump on the bandwaggon of hysteria because somehow they just don't get published.

I don't know why but I still buy it though.

5. Smoothhound

Smoothhound New Member

The Daily Mail always has to twist any story to fit it's relentlessly negative world view. Embellishment, mis-representation and outright lying are all acceptable in order to achieve it ;)

6. benjus

benjus New Member

Did you know that thisisgloucestershire originally reported this as a hit & run?

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co...ghter-mown/article-190121-detail/article.html

Seems like a typical Daily Mail tactic - report without the full facts on the most hysteria-inducing scenario, then do another report and conveniently forget the first one. Of course, the entire thisis... network, and the local newspapers they publish are owned by the Daily Mail group. The Gloucester newpapers published in thisisgloucestershire are published by GloucestershireMedia, which is part of Northcliffe Media, which is part of the Daily Mail group.

The police confirm that the cyclist stayed at the scene: http://www.gloucestershire.police.uk/Latest News/Press Releases/2008/June/item8336.html

However, if she was cycling on the pavement when she hit the girl she doesn't deserve much sympathy even if she did stop. Pavement cycling is one of the things we are most criticised for, and there really isn't any excuse for doing it.

7. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Yeah adults cycling at speed on the pavements are an absolute menace. She should be dealt with in the harshest possible way if found guilty.

8. Regulator

It seems from what I have seen so far that there has been no mention in the serious reporting (as opposed to the Daily Wail) of the cyclist being on the pavement. There is talk of a junction of two roads, and this makes me wonder whether this is actually a case of a child running out into the path of a cyclist and a mother trying to shift the blame. Given the photo of the police accompanying the article in the Wail and the width of the pavement shown, I sincerely doubt that the cyclist was on the pavement.

The fact that the police are appealing for witnesses means that the circumstances are unclear. I am sure we will have to wait for the police investigation to be completed before the true story comes out.

9. Riding in Circles

Riding in Circles Veteran

It looks like one of those roads closed off with bollards, it is probably one of the local cycle routes. I expect it was one of those happened in a moment things where the kid stepped backwards off the kerb and bounced off the cycle into the bollard, cyclist distracted by the workman fixing the doorbell and so not paying full attention on a route she rides everyday, kid not paying attention either and wham, if she had missed the bollard it would have been a cut knee and crying, as it is I can only say I'm glad it looks like she will make a full recovery.

10. Regulator

The photograph accompanying the Wail article show that the bollards are in the road - not on the pavement, so you may well be right. I tmay also be that the cyclist was paying attention - but had little or no time to react.

Cycling in London, you soon learn that there are lemming pedestrians...

11. andyfromotley

andyfromotley New Member

I'm sorry am i going mad?? Did the mail article say this was a hit and run?? Its just i read it and didnt see that anywhere in the article, although of course i may have missed it.
    Please clarify...i am confused
    andy

12. benjus

benjus New Member

Notice the date:
    Google cache still has the previous version:

13. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Also the link name gives it away slightly:

Mother-tells-terrifying-moment-daughter-knocked-left-dead-cyclist

They are stuck with that!

14. OP
    OP
    spindrift

spindrift New Member

Lying bags of sh1te.

15. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

What, hung drawn and quartered? Disembowelled? Lynched with cheese wire?