Cyclist killed: Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
A woman was killed this morning at the junction of Pollokshaws Road and Nithsdale Drive after being involved in a collision with a lorry. Details are very few at the moment.

I know that road well and it's one of the most horrible to cycle on yet it's a main route into the city. The council portray it as suitable for cycling by describing it as a bus corridor, as if that somehow magically makes it safer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-48364973

MiK1138

Veteran
Its one of the worst junctions in the city, especially at rush hour, thoughts are with the girls family

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Its one of the worst junctions in the city, especially at rush hour, thoughts are with the girls family

Aye, it's a quite a big junction to get across too, even though it has an advanced stop zone for bikes.
That whole route (A77) into town needs some serious work, not the token stretch of shared pavement beside the park.

I don't know if this was a left hook or something else but those metal railings around the corners of that junction give me the shivers as there's no escape route if you're being cut across by a car or lorry. They should not be there.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Poor woman, RIP.
Pollockshaws road is a very busy road.
If I need to go to the area, I find using the South West Cycle way or Victoria road much safer.

Slick

Guru
Well that's the worst news possible.

I know it's only a report and lots of investigating is required as well as family to be informed, but I can't help but want to know exactly what happened when I read things like this.

Thoughts and prayers now with the family.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't know if this was a left hook or something else but those metal railings around the corners of that junction give me the shivers as there's no escape route if you're being cut across by a car or lorry. They should not be there.
Yes, some of those near me have been removed from town centres, but they remain on some edge of town retail areas. They keep getting mangled and it looks like turning lorries rather than direct impacts, but the highways authorities just keep replacing them with new crush hazards rather than cameras to prosecute the dangerous lorry drivers :sad:

Mrs M

Guru
Sad news

Horrific. I know that junction very well and am sad to say that it was only a matter of time.

The entire Kilmarnock Road/Pollokshaws Road/Eglinton Toll corridor is completely unfit for purpose.

Thoughts with the victim's family and friends.

Wobblers

Euthermic
The entire Kilmarnock Road/Pollokshaws Road/Eglinton Toll corridor is completely unfit for purpose.

I go down that way often whenever I'm back up north. You're right, the whole A77 is just nasty. The thing is, the Nithsdale Drive junction is actually one of the better ones.
The council portray it as suitable for cycling by describing it as a bus corridor, as if that somehow magically makes it safer.

That probably has something to do with the token cycle lane they splashed on parts of Kilmarnock Road - not even handlebar width, and right in the door zone to boot. Useless.

I'll most likely be going past that junction tomorrow. I'll be thinking of her, and her friends and family when I do.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

That probably has something to do with the token cycle lane they splashed on parts of Kilmarnock Road - not even handlebar width, and right in the door zone to boot. Useless.

It's a long series of shoot parking, door zone paint, heavy traffic, guard rails and nothing that actually makes it safe for anyone not inside a car/truck/bus. I've complained, as have others, to GCC about the door zone painted lanes in particular because of the danger they present but they ignore it. In fact, a few months ago the daffodils renewed the painting on them.

It's frustrating because there are efforts being made nearby with proper segregated routes on Victoria Rd and from Pollokshields all the way into the city via Tradeston.

I'll most likely be going past that junction tomorrow. I'll be thinking of her, and her friends and family when I do.

Local campaign group GoBike! is holding a two-minute silence at the locus tomorrow at 17:30.

From their blog:

"We are devastated to have heard that we lost someone cycling on our roads today. We send our condolences to this woman’s friends and family, and strength to the wider cycling community who we know are feeling the shock.

We would like to stand with her in solidarity and join with others in a brief and respectful silent protest for safer cycling. We will gather at 17:30 on the pavement at the corner of Pollokshaws Road and Nithsdale Drive this Friday 24th where we will hold a two minute silence signalled by a bell, and then disperse."

icowden

Veteran
It has a lovely cycle lane on it near Nithsdale Drive which must be all of 30cm wide on the bits that don;t have an illegally parked car...

What's the point of that?

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

It has a lovely cycle lane on it near Nithsdale Drive which must be all of 30cm wide on the bits that don;t have an illegally parked car...

What's the point of that?

council tick box.jpg

Top Bottom