Cyclist Nicknames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Can't be sure but I think the one on the right is Lance Armstrong - he used to be a TdF winner

jr+ewing+costume.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It was the front changer I noticed. A hand operated rod front changer. I had one on one of my early bikes and every time you changed the front gear, it used to "clang".

In these days of indexed and electric gears, can you imagine what they had to use.
I've got a Cyclo Benelux rod operated front changer as a desk ornament. It's beautiful. I used it for years - with a cable lever. I always thought it was a bit funny but I rigged up some cabling for it to work, and it worked really well. I only discovered that it was an antique (and originally rod operated) recently when I broke the bike up. One of my early bikes from the 70s was a proper racing bike (as in used for racing, not just a "racer") - quite old at the time, probably cost me a fiver. Unfortunately it got badly smashed up in an accident (broken frame & forks) and the only salvaged part was that mech.

It seems that Dumoulin's nickname is 'The Butterfly of Maastricht'. How bizarre. The Cycling Podcast are noting that he hates it and the Dutch press are suggesting that he be called 'The Doctor' instead, reflecting that before giving it up for cycling he started medical studies. The Cycling Podcast reckon this is a terrible idea given cycling's troubles but I quite like it, shades of Laurent Fignon 'The Professor'.
Apart from the pantomime wrestling, what other sports love their nicknames so much ?

SWSteve

Guru
It seems that Dumoulin's nickname is 'The Butterfly of Maastricht'. How bizarre. The Cycling Podcast are noting that he hates it and the Dutch press are suggesting that he be called 'The Doctor' instead, reflecting that before giving it up for cycling he started medical studies. The Cycling Podcast reckon this is a terrible idea given cycling's troubles but I quite like it, shades of Laurent Fignon 'The Professor'.
Apart from the pantomime wrestling, what other sports love their nicknames so much ?

El Niño plays football

The other ones I can think of currently in the peloton are the Gorilla, the Terminator (not to be confused with the Tashkent Terminator), and the Shark of Messina. If Quintana was to have one it would surely be The Assasin ?

Sharky

Guru
Don't forget that the Shark was sired by il Lupo (The Wolf)
I should have known that

Aravis

Putrid Donut
"The Butterfly" for Dumoulin is absolutely terrible. It suggests a lightweight climber who has the ability to vanish up a mountain without his rivals quite realising what's happened. Pedro Delgado, 1988/89 vintage?

Perhaps more than anyone who's come along since, Dumoulin's style reminds me of Eddy Merckx. The name that stuck with Merckx was "The Cannibal", so maybe Dumoulin could be "The Headhunter".

Top Bottom