Cyclist nipple!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have heard of joggers nipple before, but today I did my normal 52 mile route, wearing my normal gear. Didn't feel any problems whilst out, but when I got back my nips felt very sore. Upon lifting my shirt I realised they were actually bleeding slightly!
As I said It was a 'normal' ride, why would this happen, what can I do to prevent an occurrence, what should I soothe them with?
Does anyone else suffer with this?

sittingbull

Veteran
Did you get wet or sweaty softening the skin?

Vaseline before a ride will help, alternatively put a sticking plaster over each nipple to prevent rubbing.

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
Did you get wet or sweaty softening the skin?

Vaseline before a ride will help, alternatively put a sticking plaster over each nipple to prevent rubbing.
As an overweight 40+ bloke I always get sweaty! Will try the vaseline, not sure a plaster would stay on during the ride

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I got runners nipple pretty badly a few times, never had it cycling though. I thought the main cause was wet sweaty clothes sticking to you, pulling the fabric against your skin rather than it flowing around gently or sweat making the fabric more abrasive. Either way certain tops were more prone to it than others, Vaseline only helped a little, I sweated off even waterproof plasters, even tried duct tape ones which Id also sweated off after about 10 miles. The best by far was this bodyglide stuff http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=73644&gclid=CMmh4s-Jz7ECFYQKfAod23UA-w Seems a bit pricey but it was the best thing i found and seemed to last for ages, i lost it before it ran out anyway.

Youd be suprised how bad it can get, one run i finished with more of my shirt front red than white and was very sensitive for days.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Women don't suffer from this as much as men. This is because they wear a bra. Now you if you fancy wearing a bra here is your excuse if not then you could use a close fitting wicking base layer. You see blokes in the tour wearing a vest of sorts which does the trick.

Top Bottom