Cyclist off'd by Lorry - Southampton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Without even reading the comments the journalism is bad; only concerned by the disruption to traffic :-(

vag, winchester says...
1:22pm Thu 27 May 10 I regularly drive on that stretch of road. Im fairly sure there is a cycle lane set off of the road there. The thing that gets me going is when cylists don't use the cycle lanes which have been funded from our (and their) council tax. I once asked a cyclist stopped at the lights why he seemed to prefer to hold up the traffic rather than use the cycle lane, which was 5 feet away. He said "I'm too high a standard for the crappy cycle lane". I pay over 400 quid a year VED, and lots of insurance, and god knows how much tax on my petrol to get held up by idiots like this. I hope the guy involved today is okay, and learns his lesson and uses the cycle lane in future. Rant over.

:biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I hope the lady makes a quick recovery - though a crushed foot does sound as if it will be a more prolonged recovery:sad:.

This one made me laugh:
I forgot to mention the ones that do my head in the most. The dreaded cyclist with a pannier bag on the right hand side of the bike (facing into the carriage way). I don't know whether there is a specific rule which says you should have any bags attatched on the left side only. If there isn't there should be.

Why? so that you feel you can cycle drive closer to the cyclist presumably!!!

dondare

Über Member
Southampton has a horrible arrangement of cycle lanes that seems to be based on where there's room to fit one in rather than where a cyclist should actually be riding.
Getting rid of the lot would be the best bet.

I ride through that junction on my way to the hospital occasionally. Although there's a cycleway that goes across the common it did make me very late the only time I used it as the signage seemed to disappear in the middle of a field. Otherwise it's just lines painted on the road up to the university.

The road is pretty narrow and I can see how if a cyclist wasn't all that assertive they might come unstuck.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
automatic_jon said:
I ride through that junction on my way to the hospital occasionally. Although there's a cycleway that goes across the common it did make me very late the only time I used it as the signage seemed to disappear in the middle of a field. Otherwise it's just lines painted on the road up to the university.

The road is pretty narrow and I can see how if a cyclist wasn't all that assertive they might come unstuck.

The common cycleway is bad for several reasons and I now take an alternative route through the city centre.

-bad surfaces, esp in autumn
-6-10mph limit (basically a walking pace or a light jog)
-navigating and trying to predict kids and dogs.
-highly secluded - there have been murders there in the past 3 years, muggings and sexual assaults.

I would not blame anyone for avoiding the common's cycle facilities.

Summerdays - that comment is written by some twerp who doesnt seem to have any sense of maturity or common sense. I've laid my cards on the table with that one - she needs to grow the hell up imo.:biggrin:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Aye, the Avenue is a nasty piece of work around there. Coming down t'Avenue towards the city centre, all the motorists are jockeying for position as the road goes from the two very narrow lanes down to one-and-a-half lanes either way. It's easy to see how a cyclist could become collateral if a couple of motorists get into a dick-waving race-off at the junction. I've ridden it very occasionally, and it's no fun at all.

+danger for the Common, it's notorious for sexual assaults. Mrs Dr Bollo worked at the Uni a few years back and it was well advertised as a no-go area for women after dark.

Top Bottom