Cyclist punched motorist in road rage attack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rhythm Thief said:
Now, you wouldn't be coming out with that if the positions of the car driver and the cyclist in the OP had been reversed, would you?

I've been in a situation more than once with the moton using his car against me aggresively driving almost into me.I would throw my bike through the windscreen if need be.I've seen some real p155 poor driving throughout this weather.

OP
OP
Alien8

Alien8

Senior Moment
semislickstick said:
....It's the Cambridge evening news group, you only have to read the comments under it to see the target audience.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_home/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=475385

Oh yes, they're always good for a chuckle.

The ones who ride those sit down bikes are the worst, riding a bout with a smug look on their face despite the fact that they actually look like a complete muppet!

;)

hackbike 666 said:
I've been in a situation more than once with the moton using his car against me aggresively driving almost into me.I would throw my bike through the windscreen if need be.I've seen some real p155 poor driving throughout this weather.

That's not what I asked. What happened here (according to the news report) was that the cyclist carved up the motorist and forced him to brake sharply. When the motorist remonstrated, the cyclist punched him in the face and rode off. Upon the driver finding the cyclist again and exchanging words (reasonably enough, since he'd been assaulted), the cyclist punched him again, threw his bike through the car windscreen, retrieved it and rode off.

Now, if the roles had been reversed, would you honestly have said "well, what did the cyclist expect to happen when he chased down the motorist? Was he expecting a bunch of flowers?" Of course you wouldn't. The cyclist has behaved like an peanut, and I hope he's caught.

Crankarm

Guru
The bits where blows are alleged to have been thrown or exchanged is irrelevant to the cycling/driving. They are assaults, attempted assaults public order offences or threatening behaviour.

Throwing a bike at a car windscreen????!!! Far out! Did it go through or bounce off? Must have been a chav on a BSO as I can't see any proper cyclist launching their pride and joy at any vehicle. Only way this would happen is if the car driver ran them down throwing the bike up into the air.

Also there is likely much more to this story than has been reported. It may be that the cyclist cutting in front of the car was not the commencement of the altercation. It may transpire that the car driver drove carelessly or dangerously around the cyclist, who took exception, the car driver then harassed the cyclist with his car driving very close to him, precipitating the cyclist to ride in front of the car. Why else would a cyclist ride or cut in front of a car? There is only one side of the story at the moment albeit due to the fact that the cyclist is unlikely to come forward if they have thrown a few punches, whether in self defence or to cause injury, and their bike at the car windscreen. The plot thickens.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The problem is we aren't given the full story, it's not stated if anything happened before hand between the car and cyclist.

Crankarm said:
The bits where blows are alleged to have been thrown or exchanged is irrelevant to the cycling/driving. They are assaults, attempted assaults public order offences or threatening behaviour.

Throwing a bike at a car windscreen????!!! Far out! Did it go through or bounce off? Must have been a chav on a BSO as I can't see any proper cyclist launching their pride and joy at any vehicle. Only way this would happen is if the car driver ran them down throwing the bike up into the air.

Also there is likely much more to this story than has been reported. It may be that the cyclist cutting in front of the car was not the commencement of the altercation. It may transpire that the car driver drove carelessly or dangerously around the cyclist, who took exception, the car driver then harassed the cyclist with his car driving very close to him, precipitating the cyclist to ride in front of the car. Why else would a cyclist ride or cut in front of a car? There is only one side of the story at the moment albeit due to the fact that the cyclist is unlikely to come forward if they have thrown a few punches, whether in self defence or to cause injury, and their bike at the car windscreen. The plot thickens.

Crankarm ... heartfelt apologies. I pressed "edit" instead of "quote" and accidentally chopped your post about. I put it back as best I could, but I lopped off the bit at the end about Cambridge plod and your accident. Sorry about that.;)

Bman

Guru
ofc, if* the article describes the events accurately. The cyclist is at fault and I too hope he is caught.

I'm afraid I dont believe it. So I'm inclined to believe CrankArms version is more accurate.

(*thats a big if ;))

Rhythm Thief said:
Very possibly you would. But a) that doesn't make it right - there's rarely a situation so bad that you can't make it worse by losing your rag, after all - and ;) from the report, it sounds like the violence was initiated by the cyclist, right from the start.

Rarely but it's been close a few times.
;) Sounds like?

User3143 said:
No, I think Hackbike has a point. The mentality nowadays on Britains roads is at times piss poor to say the least.

I think now if you have a row with someone on the road whether it be with a car driver or cyclist you should be (upto a certain point) prepared for a bit of a scrap as we have seen in this instance. Although I understand why the car driver went after the cyclist the second time, what the hell did the driver expect? The cyclist has already hit him the frist time and then he hit him again.;)

Indeed, but my point was that if someone had posted the same story on here only with the roles reversed (ie, car driver as aggressor), we wouldn't have spent any time trying to find reasons why the driver was in the right. We'd have just universally condemned him, and rightly so. Yet it seems as soon as a cyclist is the instigator of a "road rage" attack, we have to make excusesd for them and invent a scenario in which the car driver must have been at fault, because we all know cyclists are all angels. Well, not this one, if the report is correct. He sounds like an aggressive twat and the sooner he's punished, the better.

hackbike 666 said:
Rarely but it's been close a few times.
;) Sounds like?

Yep. I've said from the beginning that there might be more to this than meets the eye. But just because the report is all we've got to go on, doesn't mean we can disregard it entirely and invent a scenario in which it's all the fault of the motorist. Or if it does mean that, I'll invent one in which the motorist is absolutely blameless and was set upon by the cyclist for no apparent reason. Which at least matches roughly what's in the newspaper report.

Top Bottom