Cyclist punched motorist in road rage attack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bman

Guru
boydj said:
For me, a motorist getting out of the car is an aggressive move
gavintc said:
Oh, really, come on, just think this one through,.
boydj said:
Care to elaborate?

If a car driver parked his/her car and got out, would that be aggressive?
I know what you mean though (as I suspect gavintc does). Let me correct that part of your post for you: ;)

boydj said:
For me, a motorist getting out of their car to confront another road user, is an aggressive move

on the road

Über Member
Was the bike made of concrete or something? ;)

darkstar

Seems people stick up for cyclists no matter what ey? If there was a news story about a driver acting in this way, with the same floors in the story people would go mental, going on about the rights of cyclists and how mean all drivers are! I've come across some fairly angry scenes whilst cycling, never punched anyone though...

on the road

Über Member
darkstar said:
Seems people stick up for cyclists no matter what ey? If there was a news story about a driver acting in this way, with the same floors in the story people would go mental, going on about the rights of cyclists and how mean all drivers are! I've come across some fairly angry scenes whilst cycling, never punched anyone though...
It's a cycling forum, what do you expect?

darkstar

on the road said:
It's a cycling forum, what do you expect?

Haha, just because people enjoy cycling doesn't mean they have to blindly stick up for anyone who happens to share the same opinion. I love cycling, but I can see the other point of view.

D4VOW

darkstar said:
Haha, just because people enjoy cycling doesn't mean they have to blindly stick up for anyone who happens to share the same opinion. I love cycling, but I can see the other point of view.

I love cycling but I'm a much bigger Petrol Head. If the driver wasn't the aggressor then why did he get out of his car in the first place and then spend 10mins or so tracking the cyclist down again for some more ;)

darkstar

D4VOW said:
I love cycling but I'm a much bigger Petrol Head. If the driver wasn't the aggressor then why did he get out of his car in the first place and then spend 10mins or so tracking the cyclist down again for some more ;)

I didn't know he got out his car? All I read was that he was punched, which can easily be done through a window. As for chasing him for 10 minutes, I would if I'd just been punched, wouldn't you?

mangaman

darkstar said:
I didn't know he got out his car? All I read was that he was punched, which can easily be done through a window. As for chasing him for 10 minutes, I would if I'd just been punched, wouldn't you?

"A police spokeswoman said: "We were called following reports that the cyclist cut out in front of the car which forced the driver to brake suddenly. The driver got out of the car and there was an altercation"

There you go Darkstar - and if I was punched I would call the police not try to restart the fight

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
not enough detail to make any sort of conclusion here but I don't think some of our stock attitudes, regardless that this is a cycling forum, do anything to help matters. I'm far from innocent in these respects but find myself less and less comfortable with terms like 'motons'. At first the term appealed to me but I've come to dislike the implied hate that can lie behind it.

darkstar

mangaman said:
"A police spokeswoman said: "We were called following reports that the cyclist cut out in front of the car which forced the driver to brake suddenly. The driver got out of the car and there was an altercation"

There you go Darkstar - and if I was punched I would call the police not try to restart the fight

Ahh hadn't seen that, but still it takes two to fight and punching someone and smashing their windscreen is just not acceptable in any situation IMO. And ok fair enough, ring the police and then what? I wouldn't trust them to catch anyone tbh and would rather them spend their time on other matters If someone punches me I'll go after them (as long as their not massive) to sort it out.

mangaman

darkstar said:
If someone punches me I'll go after them (as long as their not massive) to sort it out.

Fine, but don't expect any sympathy if you find the person, they have a mate with them (as happened in this case) and you still try to restart the fight and lose.

I don't think it's cyclists defending cyclists; I suspect the 2 blokes on bikes were violent thugs. My point is the driver seemed to do everything he could to inflame the situation.

That (and the fact he knew where to find them) implied to me that they all knew each other.

darkstar

mangaman said:
Fine, but don't expect any sympathy if you find the person, they have a mate with them (as happened in this case) and you still try to restart the fight and lose.

I don't think it's cyclists defending cyclists; I suspect the 2 blokes on bikes were violent thugs. My point is the driver seemed to do everything he could to inflame the situation.

That (and the fact he knew where to find them) implied to me that they all knew each other.

Fair enough, if I saw there were two of them I wouldn't dare get out my car! But I don't like to be pushed around, might be the time spent on the rugby pitch but I would not just allow someone to punch me and run away.

User3143 said:
People to apply a wee bit of common sense and not jump on the cyclists bandwagon.

Not really.I may be seeing it from the cyclists point of view based on my own experiences.

I have never banged on anyones vehicle when there has been a row but I have had motorists become aggressive and use their vehicles against me.

Weird thing tonight I was thinking about these people who are driving like complete titheads and thinking I wouldn't be sorry or help if they were involved in an accident.

Then I saw what looked like a bad accident at Stratford and felt sorry for the motons involved.;)

Doesn't seem like im all that bad.

Cab said:
He might have started it, he might not have done. We have no evidence to say that he did, yet the article strongly infers that this is the case. In the absence of evidence, its just another example of anti-cyclist bias in a newspaper renowned for that.

By "absence of evidence" I presume you mean "absence of evidence which supports my world view". As I said, if we'd been presented with an article saying how a car driver had punched a cyclist, we wouldn't have been trying to find "evidence" that it was the cyclist's fault, would we? And yet here most of you are trying to make excuses for this idiot.

Cab

darkstar said:

There is no evidence, in the article, that the cyclist started this. My position is that to assume merely from biased journalism that it must be the cyclists fault would be a mistake.

I don't see anyone sticking up for the cyclist in an unfair way, but I do see some sadly gullible responses to a biased news article.

Top Bottom