Cyclist shot in Cumbria

Gunman was apparently a cabbie, too.
 

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I think when something as awful as this happens, there is little point "defining" people by their interests or trades.

It doesent make any difference if they were cyclists, cabbies, farmers or whatever.....they were all just "people" going about their day.

;)
 
Location
EDINBURGH
Good to see that the 1997 firearms act has had a positive effect, since 1997 there has been a 110% increase in firearms related injuries and firearms related homicides have stayed the same. The government basically banned legally owned handguns to curb the effect of illegally held handguns and so they would not need to be answerable for giving firearms licenses to mentally unstable people like they did with Thomas Hamilton in Dunblane. They also banned sports pistols so British olympic shooters cannot even train here.
As we can see from these events it has had a lasting effect. Or perhaps not.
 

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hope you'll accept me being a little annoyed with your reply at the moment Catrike. I know at least one of the people who has been killed (not very well but he used to drop off eggs for my next door neighbour and I've met him a few times). I'm not sure it's the time to talk about gun laws atm.

This is partly to report that I'm ok, and partly to tell everyone that there is a DEAD BODY OUTSIDE MY FRONT DOOR!!!!!!! :biggrin::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

I wasn't in, I've been locked in at a conference centre all day but I was very surprised to see police tape outside the front of my house. The person shot outside my house is a young woman who was walking back up the hill from the shops. He apparently stopped, got out of the car and shot her at close range.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the persons killed and injured. I don't know how they are ever going to recover from this but I wish them all the best.

I hope I'll never know what went through the mind of this mad man
 
Location
EDINBURGH
mcshroom said:
Hope you'll accept me being a little annoyed with your reply at the moment Catrike. I know at least one of the people who has been killed (not very well but he used to drop off eggs for my next door neighbour and I've met him a few times). I'm not sure it's the time to talk about gun laws atm.

This is partly to report that I'm ok, and partly to tell everyone that there is a DEAD BODY OUTSIDE MY FRONT DOOR!!!!!!! :biggrin::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

I wasn't in, I've been locked in at a conference centre all day but I was very surprised to see police tape outside the front of my house. The person shot outside my house is a young woman who was walking back up the hill from the shops. He apparently stopped, got out of the car and shot her at close range.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the persons killed and injured. I don't know how they are ever going to recover from this but I wish them all the best.

I hope I'll never know what went through the mind of this mad man
I'm sorry it affected you, this thread should probably be in P&L.
 
OP
StuartG

StuartG

slower but further
Location
SE London
McS - I guess shock has set in. The guy who discovered that lady outside your home was a cyclist. He described how his calmness at the time has descended into a weird feeling where he cannot focus or generally get himself together.

So thinking of you and everybody else traumatised by this event. And the police who will have an awful job making sense of what has happened. Maybe sense is the wrong word.
 

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Catrike UK said:
I'm sorry it affected you, this thread should probably be in P&L.
No worries, I'm just a little tetchy at the moment :biggrin:

I'm not sure the shock has set in, but the adrenalin is definitely pumping.
 
Location
EDINBURGH
mcshroom said:
No worries, I'm just a little tetchy at the moment :biggrin:

I'm not sure the shock has set in, but the adrenalin is definitely pumping.
I guess it is one of those "there by the grace of god go I" moments, on any given day it could have been you stepping out of your front door only to be shot dead just for being there at the wrong time. It is a frightening reality.
 

Babeloo

New Member
Location
Walthamstow
@mcshroom, I've got home from work and seen this terrible story and am sorry you have been so closely involved. Condolences over the loss of your acquaintance and I hope the community you live in, and the others affected, can come to terms with these horrible events in time.
 

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I heard the end of an interview with a cyclist on pm who had come face to face with the gunman just after he shot a woman in the street. Guy tried to help her where she lay. Couldn't do anything for her. He gave a very good interview but you could tell he hadn't really taken it all in and was in some sort of shock he must be thinking there but for the grace of god at the same time as thinking poor woman. Very moving.
 

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
i've seen the cyclist around quite a lot (if he's the guy I think he is) and I don't know much more about him than that he's faster than me ;)

To be honest now feeling a bit guilty for indulging myself and feeling shaken up as I'm not as affected as many others. It's all part of how these things work though.

Also to Catrike - I agree there is probably a good point in talking about the gun law changes, and now having contemplated things for while I apologise if I was a bit short with you in my first post.
 
Top Bottom