Cyclist Smashes Into a Car Windscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
So I was just glancing through the local rag when I came across:

"A cyclist had to be airlifted to hospital after smashing into a car windscreen......"

I don't know the details of the collision and I doubt the reporter does judging by the lack of details in the report. I was just a bit miffed by inference of the opening paragraph. It somehow conjured up an image of a bird smashing into a jet during takeoff, an absurd proposition taken from the birds point of view.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
http://officialwmas.wordpress.com/2...ntre-after-smashing-car-windscreen-on-impact/
That was 10 days ago
Fortunately, the man was wearing a cycling helmet which prevented him from suffering a serious head injury on impact with the windscreen.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
So I was just glancing through the local rag when I came across:

"A cyclist had to be airlifted to hospital after smashing into a car windscreen......"

I don't know the details of the collision and I doubt the reporter does judging by the lack of details in the report. I was just a bit miffed by inference of the opening paragraph. It somehow conjured up an image of a bird smashing into a jet during takeoff, an absurd proposition taken from the birds point of view.
A lot of us from here have in the past lobbied news outlets to use "involved in collision with" as a less leading statement. The reason we lobbied is that we felt it might be having an effect on both investigation and any subsequent proceedings by leading to the notion of blame early on.

Some papers have taken this advice on board. Sadly others (eg The Mail) have figured out that you get advertising revenue by being inflammatory...

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
It's interesting that between the story first appearing and then a few days later appearing in my local paper the words changed from:

"after smashing car windscreen on impact"

To:

"after smashing into a car windscreen"

The 2 statements don't tell the same story at all.

Top Bottom