Cyclist turned away from Council Recycling Centre for being on a bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
In the Daily Mail ... but some support for a cyclist who was refused entry into the recycling site in Weel, East Riding of Yorkshire, because he cycled towing his bike trailer.

He's even got a helmet - sort of!

article-2345808-1A6FC0CB000005DC-298_634x421.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Weel tip, used to fish the river down there as a kid, pretty sure my dad got one of my first bikes from that tip, them were the days.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
He needs more air in his tyres! :thumbsup:

The Eastwood Recycling Centre between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden has a 'no pedestrians' rule. You are not allowed to walk through the gate to dump rubbish. You are supposed to stand at the gate and wave at staff until they walk over to you and take it from you. Note though - if you drive in with your rubbish, you are supposed to park and then walk to the recycling bays with it, and they are right next to the gate! Cyclists may or may not be allowed in, depending on whether staff consider a bike to be a 'vehicle'. Bonkers!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If it was me I would have dumped it outside the gate and let them clear it up.

Could be a bad idea.

Lots of people do that when the centre is shut, but they have CCTV on the gates and a fly-tipping prosecution can follow.

PocketFrog

Northern Monkey
I'm banned from the tip near my brother because I turned up in a van on non-van day... Ooh they were spittin' feathers!

Wouldn't mind, it was only an Astra van, there were bigger cars with more crap in parked next to us!

Sandra6

Veteran
Funnily enough I saw a cyclist dropping off recycling at our waste centre just the other day - he didn't have a trailer though.
I was told off for walking in with the kids to drop off some large cardboard - it's actually quicker to walk there than it is to drive, plus I don't drive. I had to get a permit - by ringing a premium rate number!!! And I'm not allowed to take the children in with me, health and safety obviously, I think they're worried I'll stuff them in a container or something.

a few years ago, a friend of mine was charged £5 because that is the standard charge for a vehicle with trailer!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Give some people the tiniest bit of power and they just have to use it!! Did the chap have a clipboard and three pens in his top pocket?

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I go to the tip (re cycle centre) here in Rochdale and have to say it is a thousand times better then it used to be.
Yes there are Jobs Worth's running it , but now its all marked out with walk ways between skips and best of all, you don't have to fight the gypos off from poking their heads in the car as you empty you rubbish like you did in the old days.

Top Bottom