Cyclist turned away from Council Recycling Centre for being on a bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Small minded thinking by small men :angry:
Not really. We live in a "OHH I can get damages for that"! world. If anyoneso much as stubbs a toe or pops a tyre there are lawers out to make a fast buck by claiming from the council, [which doesn't help the rate bill for all of us].
Even if all the rules are followed people still try to claim for what is basically their own fault.
Pathetic but true.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Depends on the layout. Some places have metal ramps/decking providing vehicular access at skip top level. Bitter personal experience on similar surface at station car park (pinned hip and 6 weeks on crutches) says that's no place to ride. Even in our park and walk tip spilled oil is a hazard, never mind the p*ncture risk from thorns and broken glass.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
It should not be beyond their wit to provide a site layout that made it possible for people to drop off waste by bike. This way they could keep their elfin safety pixies happy and promote cycling and promote environmental waste disposal. Flippin' muppets.
I've got some crap that I am going to take to the tip in Leicester by bike trailer. I'll let people know how it goes when I get around to it. In say a year or so.

Sara_H

Guru
In the Daily Mail ... but some support for a cyclist who was refused entry into the recycling site in Weel, East Riding of Yorkshire, because he cycled towing his bike trailer.

He's even got a helmet - sort of!

article-2345808-1A6FC0CB000005DC-298_634x421.jpg

Flash mob time!

Ern1e

Über Member
I'm banned from the tip near my brother because I turned up in a van on non-van day... Ooh they were spittin' feathers!

Wouldn't mind, it was only an Astra van, there were bigger cars with more crap in parked next to us!
Try that with a landrover our site went toatly bonkers over me driving in with mine ! but two months later and a couple of windows in the side of the old girl not a word said ! So I did ask and they say it's that with out windows in the side it is a commercial vehicle and trade waste ok doh ?

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
So, as a non driver, living 1 +1/2 miles from my nearest recycling centre, how am I supposed to get there and back, to get rid of my waste that the weekly collection trucks wont take. Hire a taxi , Rent a truck, Hire a skip, Use one of these 'man with a van services' I would want my local council to fund which ever option they would feel to be more appropriate. OR JUST LET ME USE MY BIKE AND TRAILER. ARS*%$LES Thankfully, I am allowed to do so, and find it almost unbelievable that others are not allowed to enter on a bike. Whats the difference between walking from a vehicle to the dumpster, or walking from a bike and trailer to the dumpster. No wonder fly tipping is out of control on a national basis. The councils imposing these rules should be NAMED and SHAMED.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Guys at our local couldn't say a thing. I'd pre-empted them. I called the council, pointed out I wasn't a pedestrisn, but was riding a road legal vehicle as I wanted to ride in with a trailer could I have a book of passes? (They're free but if you want a trailer you have to have them) where it asked 'Registration' they'd kindly pre printed 'pedal cycle' Jobsworth wasn't happy, but what was he gonna do?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
As far as I know there's no similar policy where I live. I've used three different sites, numerous trips with a cycle trailer and no-one has ever said a word. I've also seen someone- only once mind- wheeling a handcart in.

I like going to the dump as it goes. My local one was closed, the next nearest is quite a bit farther away but it turns out it's a really nice ride (unless wet since it's a Sustrans path most of the way with typical Sustrans crappy surface)

classic33

Leg End Member
Guys at our local couldn't say a thing. I'd pre-empted them. I called the council, pointed out I wasn't a pedestrisn, but was riding a road legal vehicle as I wanted to ride in with a trailer could I have a book of passes? (They're free but if you want a trailer you have to have them) where it asked 'Registration' they'd kindly pre printed 'pedal cycle' Jobsworth wasn't happy, but what was he gonna do?
Might give that one a try.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Wouldnt want to ride a bike through ours with the glass nails and other hazards that careless people drop all over the roadway. Staff do keep it quite clean but cant follow everyone with a brush.

Top Bottom