Cyclist who drives / Driver who cycles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
Just a thought earlier, I had some time off the bike, no commute, no joy rides, nothing - while I was learning to drive. The weather was crap anyway over winter (of course) and I was seeing every possible reason to go anywhere, as a chance to get more driving practice in before the test - which I only wanted to be doing the once - I told myself once I passed I'd be back on the bike.
So then I did pass, drove myself to and from work for the week following out of novelty, and now I am back on the cycle daily.

As I was riding the long route home today I just thought, "The car is alright but I'd rather be doing this", and I can't see that changing, I can only see the car being used for work if I've injured myself or something, or for personal use if say, I have to transport something huge or whatever.

Just wondering if there's many the other way round ," I get the bike out on a weekend but am happy driving about most of the time" kinda thing

G-Zero

Über Member
I'm both - and some, depending on what the journey is for.

Of late, and time permitting, I use the bike for the 48 mile round commute, other times I use the car. Once at work, I drive.

I won't suffer to take my car in to my City centre and walk in on every occasion. Similarly, I won't take the risk of leaving any of my bikes down there, for the sake of a 1.5 mile walk, so unless I'm riding straight through the City to get to another destination, the bikes don't go there either.

My local supermarket is 1.5 miles in the opposite direction and if I need to do a large shop, I drive. If it's only for a few items, the rucsac comes out and I walk.

I won't take the risk of leaving any of my bikes at the shops, for the sake of a 1.5 mile walk, so unless I'm riding straight past the shops to get to another destination, the bikes don't go there either.

simon.r

Person
My car / bike usage ratio has varied over the years, depending on circumstances.

At present I'm unemployed and am doing more miles on the bike than the car - I'm using the car to do one 'big shop' a week and the occasional longer journey and that's about it. I reckon the 'big shop' can be done fortnightly and will be trying that soon. Anything else the bike (or feet!) comes out.

At the other extreme, a few years ago I had a company car with fuel provided by my employer, a 120 mile commute and 2 kids who needed constant ferrying about, so the bike only came out at weekends. The problem I found with that was that I became less fit, so every ride became a chore rather than a pleasure, so I rode less...a vicious circle.

I feel much better (mentally and physically) since I've been cycling almost daily and will try my hardest to keep it up when I'm back in employment. I'll commute if practical, if not I'll be riding the streets late in the evening!

gbb

Legendary Member
My circumstances have changed dramatically in the last 6 months.
Ive cycle commuted for the last 20 ish years, to the point where the car only generally got used one day midweek and a Sunday, plus infrequent saturdays. I was down to 6K miles annually in the car.

Redundancy and a new job now mean i work 21 miles away. Long shifts and occasional full weekends mean i cant or wont cycle all the way. This has bugged me, ive hardly been on the bike for 6 months, although winter would have curtailed my mileage somewhat i still cycle commuted all winter, but thats not been an option now.

But, the better weather's here now and i'm driving 13 ish miles with the bike in the boot, then cycling 7 ish miles each way.
As i regain my fitness (how quickly it goes), i'll either start extending that 7 miles or doing it daily.

If i had a 9 till 5 job 5 days a week, i'd part commute every day without question, but long shifts and weekend working rob me of the desire right now.

So i'm finding a happier medium.

compo

Veteran
I only use my bike for pleasure not utility. For shopping we use the car. If we go to town we use the bus (free with our bus passes). No way am I leaving an unattended bike anywhere in this district. Perhaps a BSO with a rusty chain and rattly gears would be a better option for shopping.

PS, for the pedants. I know bus passes are not free and that the tax payer pays, but they are free to the user at the point of use.

Paul J

If it's just me I try and use the bike, weather permitting. If I need to go somewhere with my wife or my youngest daughterI need to use the car as they have an illness that limits how far they can walk. :sad:

No contest between bike and car, two different things. When I had a motorbike however, My cycling fell away because I loved just jumping on the motorbike. I know if I got one now I'd be tempted to use it to the detriment of the bike.

I'm both - and some, depending on what the journey is for.

Of late, and time permitting, I use the bike for the 48 mile round commute, other times I use the car. Once at work, I drive.

I won't suffer to take my car in to my City centre and walk in on every occasion. Similarly, I won't take the risk of leaving any of my bikes down there, for the sake of a 1.5 mile walk, so unless I'm riding straight through the City to get to another destination, the bikes don't go there either.

My local supermarket is 1.5 miles in the opposite direction and if I need to do a large shop, I drive. If it's only for a few items, the rucsac comes out and I walk.

I won't take the risk of leaving any of my bikes at the shops, for the sake of a 1.5 mile walk, so unless I'm riding straight past the shops to get to another destination, the bikes don't go there either.

To get round your problem I have a good road bike I use for the 25 mile round trip commute to work and at work I keep a cheap bike that I use to do the short 1-2 mile trips into town and that nobody would want to nick and if they did I wouldn't mind too much anyway.

These days I mostly use the bike and trains and my annual car mileage is down to between 7-8k.

I use the car to drop ours and our neighbours 6 kids off at school two or three times a week and more often than I'd like I drive on to work. I'd like to cycle the kids in more but it's not a particularly pleasant route to be herding kids on. I do wish that the car wasn't so damned convenient. I can drive to work in less than ten minutes because much of my route is on a bike free dula carriageway ring road and 60mph roads B roads. On the bike, there whichever way I go requires enormous cross country zig zags which add half an hour at least. From an earnings/costs point of view it's cheaper to drive.

same as Compo, but do tow a caravan but not this year due to outside problems. For the last ten years I have tried to get a way touring on the bike for at least a week and I often use the train to take the bike for days outing but thats not always an easy option

gbb

Legendary Member
I only use my bike for pleasure not utility. For shopping we use the car. If we go to town we use the bus (free with our bus passes). No way am I leaving an unattended bike anywhere in this district. Perhaps a BSO with a rusty chain and rattly gears would be a better option for shopping.

PS, for the pedants. I know bus passes are not free and that the tax payer pays, but they are free to the user at the point of use.

Y'know, that statement makes me feel ashamed, ashamed there are so many people nowadays who judge everything and everyone for anything. We're becoming a monumentally judgemental nation who just can't wait to slate someone for something.
Enjoy your bus pass...its your right and you don't have to justify it to anyone :thumbsup: .

G-Zero

Über Member
To get round your problem I have a good road bike I use for the 25 mile round trip commute to work and at work I keep a cheap bike that I use to do the short 1-2 mile trips into town and that nobody would want to nick and if they did I wouldn't mind too much anyway.

Cheers, but I may have misrepresented what I actually meant, as nothing I wrote about walking is a problem.

I actually enjoy walking and when I get out into the Cumbrian Fells or Scottish Highlands, I disappear for 16 hours on occasions, so 1.5 miles to the shops is nothing in comparison. Walking's set to increase later in the year as we're getting a Retriever pup for our youngest nearer Christmas and I just know who the main dog walker will be, especially early or late in the day, or when it's lashing down.

I've still got my old MTB which could easily be used for the short trips to the shops, but prefer walking.

Driving once I get in to work is not something I could replace with any form of cycling.

Cheers, but I may have misrepresented what I actually meant, as nothing I wrote about walking is a problem.

I actually enjoy walking and when I get out into the Cumbrian Fells or Scottish Highlands, I disappear for 16 hours on occasions, so 1.5 miles to the shops is nothing in comparison. Walking's set to increase later in the year as we're getting a Retriever pup for our youngest nearer Christmas and I just know who the main dog walker will be, especially early or late in the day, or when it's lashing down.

I've still got my old MTB which could easily be used for the short trips to the shops, but prefer walking.

Driving once I get in to work is not something I could replace with any form of cycling.

For me its a time issue. I could easily walk but 1.5 miles each way takes up the best part of an hour whereas on a bike its just over 10 mins. It makes a big difference if you are wanting to go to the shops and have something to eat during an hours lunch break.

Top Bottom