Cyclists’ Drawing Discussion Gallery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur

At breakfast, doodling.

Thought it might be good fun to share a few drawings with other doodlers hereabouts.

The thread is for anyone who is exploring life with line and colour and materials. Let’s keep it to creative media. Anything you would like to share, wherever you are in your artistic journey.

Shout-out to @Cirrus who got me thinking. And to @boozeandcakes, no longer of this parish, whose street art thread I hope we can emulate in scope, delight and longevity.

Critiques of new works would be good, so long as they are kindly worded. No politics please.

Here is my artist’s statement about “Delivery Mug” above! Every artist has to have one:

Some things bring us pleasure by just being around. I’m not particularly thing-oriented, but this big Cornishware mug has a lovely heft and liveliness. Cheers me up every day. I own other Cornishware mugs. Two with lovers’ pet names printed on - yes, those were the days. They sit with their back to me in their kitchen cupboard, jostling for space with their stripy fellows, quietly different.
In drawing the mug I noticed how the middle blue stripe is narrower than the outer blue stripes. Hadn’t seen this before. I knew I was going in over the form with ink so the pencil underdrawing could change and evolve without worrying about making a mistake.
The background isn’t ochre. But that doesn’t matter. Who is to know.
I don’t usually shade, which probably shows. And I like words on drawings. I like words. And coffee.

So there we go, fellow bimblers, road rats and doodling wheelers. Let’s see what you have got, and how it makes you feel.

Sharky

Guru
Here's one I prepared earlier .....
N+1 | CycleChat Cycling Forum

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I admire a doodler. I can't doodle well, I plan it out and then constantly erase and re-draw.
I was asked last week by my wife to jazz up a plant pot as a housewarming gift for one of her lady friends who (a) loves giraffes and (b) is known for being hard to motivate, the finished "doodle" is below. I call this work "Study of lazy female giraffe", acrylic on terracotta, 2021, and it's currently on display at an exclusive and private Biggleswade gallery. I feel it needs no artist's statement, you can feel the raw emotion and sheer talent spilling from it.

20210311_100033.jpg

Cirrus

Veteran
View attachment 578062
At breakfast, doodling.

Thought it might be good fun to share a few drawings with other doodlers hereabouts.

The thread is for anyone who is exploring life with line and colour and materials. Let’s keep it to creative media. Anything you would like to share, wherever you are in your artistic journey.

Shout-out to @Cirrus who got me thinking. And to @boozeandcakes, no longer of this parish, whose street art thread I hope we can emulate in scope, delight and longevity.

Critiques of new works would be good, so long as they are kindly worded. No politics please.

Here is my artist’s statement about “Delivery Mug” above! Every artist has to have one:

Some things bring us pleasure by just being around. I’m not particularly thing-oriented, but this big Cornishware mug has a lovely heft and liveliness. Cheers me up every day. I own other Cornishware mugs. Two with lovers’ pet names printed on - yes, those were the days. They sit with their back to me in their kitchen cupboard, jostling for space with their stripy fellows, quietly different.
In drawing the mug I noticed how the middle blue stripe is narrower than the outer blue stripes. Hadn’t seen this before. I knew I was going in over the form with ink so the pencil underdrawing could change and evolve without worrying about making a mistake.
The background isn’t ochre. But that doesn’t matter. Who is to know.
I don’t usually shade, which probably shows. And I like words on drawings. I like words. And coffee.

So there we go, fellow bimblers, road rats and doodling wheelers. Let’s see what you have got, and how it makes you feel.
Nice one Randomnerd!

Rather pleased to have been a small inspiration for you to set up this thread, I'll have to get some drawing materials sorted now...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
This one is drawn on my phone
View attachment 578077

These are on the iPad.
View attachment 578078

View attachment 578079
These are really good works @Ian H (as a fellow Hallett owner...I have to declare my interest in order not to show favouritism)
I have the app Paper by 53 both on my phone and iPad and find it great for ideas, but doenst offer the same feeling and emotion as getting out paper and pencils What app do you use and do you draw with anything else, or just pixels? Thanks for your post :okay:

OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Nice one Randomnerd!

Rather pleased to have been a small inspiration for you to set up this thread, I'll have to get some drawing materials sorted now...
You certainly will @Cirrus. Cult Pens online are pretty good for pencils and suchlike. For other art materials pick decent stuff. Schmincke say for pastels and Conte for crayons For drawing. For acrylic paint I favour Sennelier or Golden. Bit dear, but you only live once.My fave paper is Strathmore. You could start with newsprint for rough and maybe a book of sketching paper once you get going. 12 x 12 is a good size. Steer clear of a4 IMHO it’s boring. Looking forward to seeing your work! :okay:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
These are really good works @Ian H (as a fellow Hallett owner...I have to declare my interest in order not to show favouritism)
I have the app Paper by 53 both on my phone and iPad and find it great for ideas, but doenst offer the same feeling and emotion as getting out paper and pencils What app do you use and do you draw with anything else, or just pixels? Thanks for your post :okay:
Well, Richard is an artist in his own way.
The (Android) phone app is Scribmaster, the iPad one is Sketches, both the paid-for versions. I use pen, pencil, charcoal, oil pastel (horrible medium, but a challenge), acrylic (I'm fussy about which), & water-colour. But not all at once. Some of my stuff is on the website (below). There's an enormous amount still to put up (when I get around to it).

OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
What a great idea for a thread. I only wish I had the talent - I would love to be able to sketch and do watercolours of cycling scenes. I shall look on with envy...
Good to have you on board @hoopdriver. No elitism in this thread, and a complete ban on snarky judgment. What a great space to post up an effort without fear or favour? Go on! Go find a pencil and - look - there’s an old envelope behind the pot dog on the mantel!

Top Bottom