Cyclists’ Drawing Discussion Gallery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Dodo Airlines plane from Animal Crossing, children's pencil on A4 printer paper. 2021.
I believe this work of art to be pleasing because it captures the very thing that brings us to and from our own version of paradise. Many viewers will sense a familiarity with the subject, existing as it does in their own Animal Crossing community, and it's therefore something island dwellers can very much relate to.

20210314_112515.jpg

OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Dodo Airlines plane from Animal Crossing, children's pencil on A4 printer paper. 2021.

Like it @CanucksTraveller. Not familiar with AC, which is no obstacle to seeing a lovely yellow sea plane. A careful use of the pencil which I admire, since my penchant is to take a very different and more chaotic approach. Colour and form. Yes. Nailed it.

I want more context! What is your plane doing? Where is it? A wisp of cloud? A splash of water?

Keep em coming’ :okay:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Two pencil drawings I still like, my mother in 1971 & my son in 1995.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Never had an artistic bone in my body, but by some fluke a video ended up in my YouTube recommendations of someone doing a pen and watercolour of a house in Edinburgh. I (naively!) thought that I might be able to manage something similar ... albeit not with the same artistic eye, finesse, nor as quickly. But I'm always up for trying something new, so I picked up some cheap (and not so cheerful!) materials, found a photo I thought I might be able to use as a subject, and here we are:

A terraced house in Walkley, Sheffield

Large_Terraced house in Walkley.JPG

Learning so much by doing, and consequently finding out how much I don't know and what skills I need to develop.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Attempt 2 was on the face of it, a simpler subject - just a stone gateway I happened to photograph on a ride, thinking it might become a subject:

Large_Stone gateway.JPG

I am finding architectural or structural subjects, which often seem to have clearly defined lines, easier to render - there's less interpretation(?) involved. I'm also finding it easier working from photos - perhaps it's something to do with them being two-dimensional, and/or that they 'frame' the subject?

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Since the last one was from a photo I took whilst our on a ride, I wondered whether it might be interesting to go back through my folders of ride photos and see if there were other potential subjects? If I can get the hang of it, the idea of creating a painting of something encountered on a tour seems like a much more connected way of bringing back memories.

This is my attempt at the 'Custom House' in Napier, a period building which I clearly didn't quite do full justice to, but I'm happy that I now have a much more tangible personal memory of when I was there.

Large_Custom House, Napier.JPG

Defintely 'cheated' with this one. There were a couple of people out front, but the idea of trying to draw something as unstructured as a person is frightening at the moment - something to work towards I think. Some of the artists Ive watched on YouTube talk about drawing and painting 'loosely'; I'm not there yet!

Top Bottom