Cyclists an easy target.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Scrotes?! Good heavens above, quieten down. I narrowly escaped being burned at the stake for using the word Chavs!

Johnno260

Veteran
The local scrotes threw an iron bar at me in the autumn. Just because I was cycling past - they've been known to throw stuff at cars too.

I am very suspicious of anyone on the side of the road, some kids the other weekend thought it funny to throw things at passing cars etc I got off the bike and just glared as I walked past.

johnnyb47

Guru
When i used to cycle to school i would always pass this lad who was a couple of years older than me. He would always walk the 3 miles to school and unfortunately he thought it a good idea to bully me as i went passed on my bike.One day as i went passed he lashed out at me and to his surprise i got off my bike and gave him a good hiding on the side of the road. When i got to school i always remember the RE teacher collaring me and asked what had happened as he saw us having a punch up as he drove pass. When i told him he just laughed and ruffled my hair and said "Good lad.He needed teaching a lesson " and walked off. Happy days :-)..

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A broken pelvis is far worse than a broken leg or hip. Serious complications can happen due to a broken pelvis. Here's one to cheer you up. Quite a few years ago i saw a cyclist giving some lad a real good beating. After it was over i asked the cyclist what had happened. He told me the lad had tried to throw a broom handle through his front spokes in an attempt to make the cyclist go head first over the handlebars. Luckily the broom handle bounced off the side of the wheel but the cyclist still wobbled and fell off. He played dead,then when the lad walked up to see the result of his actions the cyclist jumped up and laid into the lad.:boxing: :B) :thumbsup:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I would actually say you are less vulnerable on a bike because you have a good chance of getting away. I would hope that most of the time you get a warning before someone attacks you although there will always be cowards who don't even do that.

I got attacked by two blokes a while back for the crime of knocking off their wing mirror when they didn't cede priority through a chicane. Luckily I managed to get away with only a broken but rideable rear wheel where they kicked it. Did shake me up and lead me to buy a camera though.

Unfortunately for the two they were in a company van in company uniform. They got disciplinary action, I got a personal apology from the ops manager and they paid promptly for my repairs and inconvenience.

Sixmile

Veteran
I believe there's something in cyclists being some kind of target for abuse. If a pedestrian gives abuse to a fellow pedestrian who'll stop and possibly challenge it, there's less of a chance if you shout or hurl something at a cyclist passing at 20mph that they'll actually stop. There's a section of my commute where I've had some verbal abuse and the odd thing thrown at me from boys walking to their secondary school. I'm not too sure they'd do the same thing if I was walking. For what it's worth, as part of my job I've spent time in that particular school and never encountered any issues. Then I don't think I can recall off hand anytime that a passing motorist has shouted at me as I've walked anywhere but I've experienced this a few times on the bike over the last year or so. Fortunately I've never experienced anything of a physical nature as mentioned in the original post, but I would tend to be wary when riding alone around rivers and canals especially in locations and at times that there are groups of neanderthals about.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I would make them chase me down, keeping the speed just above what they can run at.. when the group has split up and the last one running is getting tired, I'd get off the bike and have a, chat, with him.

I hope i don't get a flat tire at this point. :smile:

Adding my war story for good measure, I've had a rocket fired at me (it missed) up the road from home, happened around 5th Novemeber. Scrotes ran off giggling, sadly it was dark and I didn't get a good look at them, so pointless reporting it. Also had kids armed with a high powered laser pen, and another time water balloons. The trick is to stop. Get off your bike and go ape shoot (King Kong, ape beating chest style), most of the time these kids are cowards and will leg it. It helps that I'm 6'4" and can pull a mean face.

Karma's a bitch, and one day, should these muppets fail to learn how to respect others and continue engaging in risky behaviour, they'll get what is coming to them.

Don't let shoot like this get to you, because for every douche, there's 9 other kind hearted souls out there.

Top Bottom