"Cyclists get away with murder", says police chief

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy 71

02GF74 said:
WTF???

So how many of these cyclist have killed someone? Compare that to the number of motrorists, motrocyclists, cyclists and pedestrains killed by car drivers then I think they sould sit back and get things in proprotion.

I think your question misses the point. You imply that RLJing for example is a victimless crime. It is not. It causes hostility and makes life more difficult and dangerous for other road users - it's not just motorists who get agitated.

Andy 71

User3143 said:
:girl: The day I get sent down for RLJ, is the day you start thinking rationally. My idea of an intellectual challenge is working out what 1+1 is, although I still have not got the answer.

No - the day you get sent down for RLJ is the day YOU start thinking rationally.

Sorry, but my rational thought process does not involve passing through purpose-built safety signals, into competing streams of heavy motorised traffic who do not expect me to be there, and couldn't see me anyway because I had no lights.

What's 'rational' about that?

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I'm still trying to work out whether or not Lee's just stirring things up again....

There was a Leigh that I used to work with; lovely bloke, very Weedgie, very intelligent, great laugh on a night out but boy, could he stir up arguments by deliberately taking the wrong side just to wind everyone up. The way our CC Lee behaves is almost a carbon copy.

However, anyone who RLJs comes at the bottom of my list of decent road-users. :girl:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
User3143 said:
Makes you a better rider though, more aware and alert. I did have watch it the other day.

Carrying my fishing rod, it was quite hard filtering through a load of traffic and then jumping the red light.

Oh Lee you do talk our of your arse. Do you think that the bloke who rlj'd and hit domtyler side on thought he was a better rider as well ?

:girl:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
goo_mason said:
I'm still trying to work out whether or not Lee's just stirring things up again....
However, anyone who RLJs comes at the bottom of my list of decent road-users. :girl:

He is a troll

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Lee why do you have to troll in an interesting and debatable thread? Unfortunately, there's some posters who haven't worked out you're a wind up merchant. I'm sure they will though.

Your wind up posts are starting to out number your 'serious' posts which is a shame as you make some decent contributions, imo.

I think you are actually quite proud of RLJ-ing. You cover the bravado using a troll post (well, you say it is), knowing that some posters are going to scream TOSSER. Then you back-pedal with a kind of 'Oh don't you lot know me by now.... ha ha ha it's all been a big joke ha ha ha'. :girl:

Frankly, I don't think anyone here really cares if you do RLJ, apart from the unfortunate fact that we get tarred with the same brush and it can make life on the roads more dangerous for those of us who do follow the rules.

Same as they won't care if ever there's reports of you being peeled from the road. ;)

It all just seems a shame to me that we all get viewed as some sort of anti-social menace - as evidenced by the Radio London broadcast the other day and the treatment of Logan 5 by the passengers of the bus that nearly took him - but I guess it's not surprising given the way that some people behave. Just a shame. So I suppose anything that makes the nutters mend their ways can only be good for the rest of us.

But what is annoying is that any similar initiative targetting, for example, people doing 45mph in a 30 limit in their two tonnes of metal whilst on their mobile is seen by many elements of the press / public as "a tax on the poor long-suffering motorist". :girl:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't seem much wrong with the stopping the fools, but it's costly, and won't stop the proper idiots....

On the subject of RLJ - I caught a colleague up on his fixie last night, he didn't hear me shout 'go on fall off' as he was track standing at the lights, due to his ear phones, but he jumped them as the traffic cleared - I went through some 5-10 seconds later on green - do I say anything.......

hackbike 6

Frankly, I don't think anyone here really cares if you do RLJ, apart from the unfortunate fact that we get tarred with the same brush and it can make life on the roads more dangerous for those of us who do follow the rules.

+1

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
snapper_37 said:
Lee why do you have to troll in an interesting and debatable thread?

Your wind up posts are starting to out number your 'serious' posts which is a shame as you make some decent contributions, imo.
He's made some? I must have missed those... :girl:

hackbike 6

Lazy-Commuter said:
It all just seems a shame to me that we all get viewed as some sort of anti-social menace - as evidenced by the Radio London broadcast the other day and the treatment of Logan 5 by the passengers of the bus that nearly took him - but I guess it's not surprising given the way that some people behave. Just a shame. So I suppose anything that makes the nutters mend their ways can only be good for the rest of us.

But what is annoying is that any similar initiative targetting, for example, people doing 45mph in a 30 limit in their two tonnes of metal whilst on their mobile is seen by many elements of the press / public as "a tax on the poor long-suffering motorist". :girl:

That's why I dislike the press/media so much as they make my job harder than it should be and also with this (dangerous) attitude towards cyclists just because some break the law time and time again.Of course the poor old law abiding tax paying motorists are angels.

Posted by: Southpark, Southside on 3:51pm Thu 8 Nov 07
Mutual respect............. ... don't make me laugh. The CYCLIST highway code: ignore red lights, people on green-man crossings, travel in the opposite direction on oneway streets - indulge in a bit of off-roading on pavements - meander through queing traffic. Cycle up the inside of vehicles (at traffic lights) when vehicles are indicating that they are turning left. Adopt a centre-of-the-road attitude (particularly during peak-hours) when travelling through narrowed/ restricted width sections of roads (especially infuriating when they could indulge in one of their frequent off-road pursuits - taking to the pavements). We could add the statutory dress code: dark clothing c/w mandatory rucksack/ backpack all designed to make them more difficult to see at peak-hours (now that we have dark mornings/ evenings). £200 for a bike - I would charge them £500 for a license/ insurance ................ maybe then they would show a little more care and attention and mutual respect for other road-users and pedestrians!!!!

...and this is what a typical motorist thinks of us.

hackbike 6

skwerl said:
Except this is ongoing and no verdict has been reached yet.

Do you also honestly believe he intentionally hit the man in an attempt to kill him?

I've seen the cops drive stupidly sometimes,but in an answer to your question,no.

I didn't, it was andy that started calling me a tosspot. My first two posts were true and serious. I was quite happy to leave it at that, but I won't have someone direct an insult at me like that, especially the way it was written. ''the person who posted first...'

I don't agree with some of what you do but I do agree name calling does not help.

Top Bottom