"Cyclists get away with murder", says police chief

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
You could always tell us which ones... :smile:

Andy 71

The thing is Goo, some, apparently, do get away with murder, like the t@sspot who posted the very first reply to your thread.

What we need is zero-tolerance road law enforcement, which will catch these unmentionables out and make the lives of the law-abiding a damn sight safer.

Eat MY Dust said:
"Cyclists were also warned for recklessly using their bikes on pavements – although strictly not a crime"

Eh?

That puzzled me as well. I thought they could fine you? the law isn't different in Scotland and England for this one is it?

User3143 said:
Then plod drove off. If I was to get a fine though, £30? hardly a lot of money is it?

Your absolutely right. It isn't much. I think the CTC instead of making excuses for people who red light jump, pavement cycle etc, should be campaigning to have the penalties increased.

Andy 71

User3143 said:
You are forgetting the amount of paperwork involved, this is mostly the reason why the law do not do anything.

I've been ''caught'' once RLJ, as I went through I actually drew up alongside the cop car. Mr plod winds down his window..''You do realise you don't have any priority at red lights, don't you?''
''Yeah, sorry about that''

Then plod drove off. If I was to get a fine though, £30? hardly a lot of money is it?

Your response makes a perfect case as to why morons like you should be hammered by the fuzz. Personally, I think your bike should have been impounded and you should have to pay £150 to get it back.

Oh, I am sure it wouldn't bother you the first couple of times - you would leave the bike a buy a cheapie to run around on. However, you habit would soon become very expensive, especially if you found yourself up in front of a Magistrate for repeat offences.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
That puzzled me as well. I thought they could fine you? the law isn't different in Scotland and England for this one is it?

Given the quality of the EEN journalism, I wouldn't take what they said as legal fact !!

Cab

magnatom said:

I'll bet that the article writer just didn't know the score... Unless of course it was cyclists riding on paths not adjacent to roads and which do not have specific bye-laws, which would be legal but not necessarily sensible.

Cab

goo_mason said:
Anothert typical headline in the Edinburgh Evening News to stir the rabid anti-cycling brigade from their slumbers.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Cyclists-get-away-with-murder.4666530.jp

Surprisingly, there are far more even-handed comments on the story than usual.

Disprportionate amount of police effort for the harm caused. I agree with their sentiment, it would be great to get the worse offending cyclists to comform with the law, but it ain't worth this much plod time and effort.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Andy 71 said:
Your response makes a perfect case as to why morons like you should be hammered by the fuzz.

I don't know about hammered by the fuzz, how about anyone who RLJ's get's kicked in the fuzz ? :girl:

Andy 71

User3143 said:
Leave it out andy, this still isn't a lot of money. I've got three bikes as well, no need to buy a cheapie;)

What if the fee was a grand? Or are such somes 'mere trifle' to you?

Don't forget - you can't buy your way out of a custodial sentence. In the clink, you would be a very small (and unprepared) spratt in a very large ocean of sharks and killer whales.

And before you say this is melodramatic, courts regularly send people down for persistant offences, regardless of severity. Had you thought of that? Or is this, as well as basic road sense, too much of an intellectual challenge for you?

02GF74

Über Member
WTF???

So how many of these cyclist have killed someone? Compare that to the number of motrorists, motrocyclists, cyclists and pedestrains killed by car drivers then I think they sould sit back and get things in proprotion.

Top Bottom