Cyclists get pulled for 39mph in a 30 limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it's very interesting that some of the people on here who have no problems with cyclists on pedal bikes riding at 39mph on a road which has a 30mph speed limit for cars are not happy with people on ebikes riding at 39mph on roads with a 30mph limit.

Makes the kinetic energy argument rather moot, doesn't it? An ebike is not that much heavier than a pedal bike.

But yes, the thread is getting pretty boring.

Alex321

Veteran
I think it's very interesting that some of the people on here who have no problems with cyclists on pedal bikes riding at 39mph on a road which has a 30mph speed limit for cars are not happy with people on ebikes riding at 39mph on roads with a 30mph limit.

Makes the kinetic energy argument rather moot, doesn't it? An ebike is not that much heavier than a pedal bike.

Nobody on here would be happy with pedal cyclists doing 39mph in the places where they complain about ebikes doing that.

There are a few places where 39mph in a 30 limit is perfectly reasonable on a bike. There are MANY more where it would not be at all reasonable.

The complaints about fast ebikes have been where they have been weaving in and out of traffic or riding fast on pavements, and I don't think any of us would accept that as reasonable on a pedal bike.

classic33

Leg End Member

Most ebikes* weigh around the 30-35kg mark, before the batteries are added.

*The illegal derestricted type not the e-assist type

Slick

Guru
I suggest coming out the pub before you're unconscious, next time!

To be fair, your not the first to suggest it. :okay:

Solocle

Über Member
Nobody on here would be happy with pedal cyclists doing 39mph in the places where they complain about ebikes doing that.

There are a few places where 39mph in a 30 limit is perfectly reasonable on a bike. There are MANY more where it would not be at all reasonable.

The complaints about fast ebikes have been where they have been weaving in and out of traffic or riding fast on pavements, and I don't think any of us would accept that as reasonable on a pedal bike.

Or indeed faster. Speed limits can't account for road conditions etc, so they can be higher than would be safe, or lower than would be safe.
One of the privileges of being non-motorised is that you get to use your discretion - just like the police do. They're not exempt from careless driving!

East Chevin Road in Otley is such a place, down a very steep hill. A couple of driveways to watch, but very few hazards otherwise.
image.png

classic33

Leg End Member
Or indeed faster. Speed limits can't account for road conditions etc, so they can be higher than would be safe, or lower than would be safe.
One of the privileges of being non-motorised is that you get to use your discretion - just like the police do. They're not exempt from careless driving!

East Chevin Road in Otley is such a place, down a very steep hill. A couple of driveways to watch, but very few hazards otherwise.
View attachment 705779
It's the crossroada near the bottom that I don't like.

Top Bottom