Cyclists get pulled for 39mph in a 30 limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...d-to-be-mindful-after-being-stopped-by-police

IMG_20230904_191027.jpg

A couple of cyclists got pulled by Devon and Cornwall police after they clocked them above the 30 limit. Not an offence as such but could potentially have been charged with dangerous cycling.
Posting on X, formerly known as Twitter, a spokesperson for the force wrote: 'Cyclists, please be mindful of your speeds and just how this will affect you in the event of a collision. Their comments were received positively by the group reportedly.
Comments from motorists suggested they should be fined.
Irresponsible or not posing any real danger? What do you think?

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
since we didn't witness the 'incident', how can we possibly comment on it being irresponsible or not?

doing nearly 40 on a straight open road or recklessly overtaking other vehicles on said road? the speed* alone isn't enough to go on.

*which is that of the police car.

classic33

Leg End Member
Can they be fined for speeding?

"Because bikes aren’t fitted with speedometers, cyclists can’t be charged with speeding offences. HOWEVER, if they are considered to be going too fast for the conditions, they could be charges with ‘wanton or furious cycling’ which is a criminal offence under section 35 of the Offences Against the Persons Act 1861 (as amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948 s1(2))"

Alex321

Veteran
since we didn't witness the 'incident', how can we possibly comment on it being irresponsible or not?

doing nearly 40 on a straight open road or recklessly overtaking other vehicles on said road? the speed* alone isn't enough to go on.

*which is that of the police car.

If you follow the link in the OP, there is a twitter video of it, with the cops following the bikes (at 37mph, not 39 - the 39 was shown briefly as the cop car was gaining on the bikes).

Doesn't look particularly irresponsible to me, on that road.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If you follow the link in the OP, there is a twitter video of it, with the cops following the bikes (at 37mph, not 39 - the 39 was shown briefly as the cop car was gaining on the bikes).

Doesn't look particularly irresponsible to me, on that road.

i did click the link but the pop-up annoyed me so i shut it. :smile:

newts

Veteran
The Mary Tavy descent Strava top 10 for this stretch of road, about half is in a 30mph area.

1693857881979.png

1693857758341.png

Here's an interesting* question.
If they are using computers/GPS and they know they're speeding, are they still not breaking the law?
I was overtaken by a cyclist once going down the A404 from High Wycombe to Maidenhead - I was driving an absolutely clapped out Transit Luton which had a top speed of 45mph. Impressive skills.

Saying that, and at the risk of sounding unpopular I think 39 in a 30 zone is too fast. If you hit anyone you'll be really badly hurt, as would the person you hit. Maybe even killed. If I killed someone because I was doing something I knew was stupid I am not sure what my life would be like.

Top Bottom