Cyclists get pulled for 39mph in a 30 limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Here's an interesting* question.
If they are using computers/GPS and they know they're speeding, are they still not breaking the law?

No.

Although the lack of a requirement for a speedo is often cited as the reaso the law doesn't apply to cyclists, t5he law itself makes no mention of that, and it simply only applies to motor vehicles.

I was overtaken by a cyclist once going down the A404 from High Wycombe to Maidenhead - I was driving an absolutely clapped out Transit Luton which had a top speed of 45mph. Impressive skills.

Saying that, and at the risk of sounding unpopular I think 39 in a 30 zone is too fast. If you hit anyone you'll be really badly hurt, as would the person you hit. Maybe even killed. If I killed someone because I was doing something I knew was stupid I am not sure what my life would be like.

It all depends on the road.

From the video, it didn't look particularly stupid in this case.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No.

Although the lack of a requirement for a speedo is often cited as the reaso the law doesn't apply to cyclists, t5he law itself makes no mention of that, and it simply only applies to motor vehicles.

It all depends on the road.

From the video, it didn't look particularly stupid in this case.

"Officer, the motorway was empty! Driving at 180mph ,I was a risk to nobody" ?

The double standards/flexible morality of cyclists is impressive.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I thought speed limits were there to help safety ? didnt open the link but looked at picture . there are 2 junctions and a zebra crossing that I saw , if someone was to walk from side road straight to zebra , I doubt if I could stop doing nearly 30% over recommended maximum speed and I for one would hope that if someone travelling at an unsafe speed ( I say unsafe as I don't think I could stop safely ),hit or was involved in a collision caused by going too fast , then someone somewhere should rightfully be able to successfully prosecute . just because there are loop holes in laws it doesnt mean common sense should be disregarded

Jameshow

Veteran
Here's an interesting* question.
If they are using computers/GPS and they know they're speeding, are they still not breaking the law?
I was overtaken by a cyclist once going down the A404 from High Wycombe to Maidenhead - I was driving an absolutely clapped out Transit Luton which had a top speed of 45mph. Impressive skills.

Saying that, and at the risk of sounding unpopular I think 39 in a 30 zone is too fast. If you hit anyone you'll be really badly hurt, as would the person you hit. Maybe even killed. If I killed someone because I was doing something I knew was stupid I am not sure what my life would be like.

I agree - I could do 50mph down cow and calf acros the cattle grid and into a family walking across the road after a Sunday afternoon walk up to the rocks. I wouldn't be riding with care and attention if I didn't moderate my speed.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran

What "double standards" are you talking of here?

Are you suggesting that it is somehow "double standards" to be saying it is OK to not abide by something that doesn't apply to you, while complaining about people not abiding by something that does?

If so, then I disagree completely.

Drago

Legendary Member
You'd disagree with your own shadow! :laugh:

We all know exactly what slow-motion meant. Irrespective of any laws or regulations, why should anyone expect someone else to behave in a manner that they do not themselves?

Yes, there is the law, but when it becomes a matter of the behaviour of one group compared to another that descends into pedantry. I expect those around me to behave in a certain manner, and I reciprocate - for better or for worse - in the manner in which I am treated. The law is little in the way of an excuse when it is discovered that human nature doesnt work they way youd hoped.

Give a little, you might get a little back. Take a load, even if youre allowed, and make a point of doing so brazenly, then you can't really feign surprise when someone objects.

It's a simple life lesson- as much as we would like it too, the law does not transcend human nature. Behaviour breeds behaviour.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
You'd disagree with your own shadow! :laugh:

If it could talk, probably I would :whistle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

I invite you to calculate the speed required for the kinetic energy of a 100 kg cyclist to equal that of a Ford Kia at 67 mph.

I don't remember ever reading a news story about a cyclist sneezing, losing control and demolishing an occupied house.

Drago

Legendary Member
While I agree with you wholeheartedly MJR, I think you're missing the point.

It's a question of human nature and expectation, not of statistics and physics.

From the moment a child learns to speak it will bleat the words, "its not fair."

And they're right, it isn't fair.

However, the fact that there may a very good physical, statistical or legal reasons why it isn't fair cuts no ice with the baying masses of middle England, the very baying masses who's votes politicians crave so obsessively.

All the baying masses see is cyclists behaving like loons, even if that isn't really the case at all, and the danger is someone somewhere will think there's a vote or two in it if they push for legislation to put a stop to it.

It's wrong, for all the reasons you cite, but that's the reality we may end up facing if we continue to take the piss, even if we know full well we're doing nothing of the sort.

The annoying nail that sticks out is inevitably the one that gets hit first by the hammer.

I know full well the cyclists in the vid have done nothing wrong, be it legally, morally, or probably in terms of safety, but it's not the likes of you and me we need to worry about when it comes to politicians listening to an outraged middle England screaming for action. We've had enough ridiculous legislation and events over the last decade because the public have been whipped up into a sufficient frenzy that a politician somewhere thought there was some mileage in doing something about it. Let's not let us be the next victim of that phenomenon, and we need to be careful because as a user group we don't have that many influential political friends at the present time.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Can they be fined for speeding?

"Because bikes aren’t fitted with speedometers, cyclists can’t be charged with speeding offences. HOWEVER, if they are considered to be going too fast for the conditions, they could be charges with ‘wanton or furious cycling’ which is a criminal offence under section 35 of the Offences Against the Persons Act 1861 (as amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948 s1(2))"

I don't really want to start this over again but it has nothing whatsoever to do with speedometers. There were speed limits for cars for many* years before speedos on cars became compulsory in 1937.

The reason cyclists can't be charged with speeding offences is because the law applies only to motor vehicles.

Apart from that. Meh.

*76 years. First speed limit introduced 1861

Last edited:

markemark

Über Member
It's ridiculous. There are laws about buying knives. No laws about buying pencils. You could kill someone with a pencil if you tried hard enough (I saw a documentary about it called John Wick). The same law should apply to pencils as knives as both could kill in the wrong hands. It's crazy, even my 5 year old daughter has pencils and she has no idea of the danger they pose.

I think the police should have a quiet word with anyone carrying a pencil. Yes, it's not against the law but it is a potential murder weapon and a great use of police time. I mean, even if it only saves one death from a pencil this decade, it could be a family member.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

but a motor vehicle doing 180 on a motorway is exceeding a speed limit which applies to that vehicle.

very strange example you put there... since it has bugger all to do with the OP.

Top Bottom