Cyclists get pulled for 39mph in a 30 limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
All 30mph speed limits I've seen are there for obvious - and sometimes less obvious - reasons.

Being on a bike does sidestep the speeding restriction, but it doesn't sidestep the pilot's responsibility to drive/ride safely.

"The road was clear" or "my bike control skills exceed those of Peter Sagan" are nothing more than mealy mouthed excuses.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
If I could break 30 on my single speed, the police would be waiting for me with a medal :laugh:

when I was doing 37 in a 30 on Martha's Vineyard & this guy passed me going even faster, they'd better pull us both over
1693920574022.png

markemark

Über Member
Cars travelling at 30mph do different things than cyclists, pedestrians and gummy bears due to their size and weight. Therefore they have different restrictions.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
While I agree with you wholeheartedly MJR, I think you're missing the point.

It's a question of human nature and expectation, not of statistics and physics.

From the moment a child learns to speak it will bleat the words, "its not fair."

And they're right, it isn't fair.

However, the fact that there may a very good physical, statistical or legal reasons why it isn't fair cuts no ice with the baying masses of middle England, the very baying masses who's votes politicians crave so obsessively.
But my point was: it is fair. The speed limits reduce the numbers the heavy motorists kill and demolish, while not distracting the police unecessarily with much lighter vehicles going slightly faster that will very rarely harm anyone or anything else, until such point that the lightweights are behaving obviously recklessly or carelessly (which are offences even below speed limits, not that you'd know it from the way some police forces act).

For me, it's not a double standard, but a simple, fair standard: set the speed limits for each vehicle class based on the kinetic energy of its typical vehicle, so that it reduces death and destruction. This would be much fairer than the current Victorian-with-tweak-after-tweak system of speed limits which were originally introduced to protect road surfaces, not people!

All the baying masses see is cyclists behaving like loons, even if that isn't really the case at all, and the danger is someone somewhere will think there's a vote or two in it if they push for legislation to put a stop to it.

It's wrong, for all the reasons you cite, but that's the reality we may end up facing if we continue to take the piss, even if we know full well we're doing nothing of the sort.
But we won't ever stop all cyclists doing it. Heck, not even the threat of prison and fines has stopped motorists speeding left right and centre, so a bit of online scowling ain't gonna stop cyclists doing it in the few places they can. What can we do? Explain why any baying mass calling for same rules and penalties is being irrational, and hope that takes root somewhere useful.

Three fine young members of the baying mass stuck in a white van in traffic today offered to punch my glasses into my face (a crime) for daring to cross the road other than at a signalised crossing (not a crime in England) even though it didn't affect them in the slightest. How about we have some effective laws and policing against that instead? Maybe if the police weren't faffing about pulling over cyclists and mobility scooter riders for non-crimes, they might have more time to address real crimes on the roads.

newts

Veteran
From the clip posted on X it appeared to be 4-6 cycling at speed in a close group. As previously mentioned, if you watch the whole clip there is a Zebra crossing in the middle of the village. If a young or elderly person had begun to cross when the bikes were 25-30 metres away, would any or all of the cyclists been able to stop safely in time from 37mph?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
From the clip posted on X it appeared to be 4-6 cycling at speed in a close group. As previously mentioned, if you watch the whole clip there is a Zebra crossing in the middle of the village. If a young or elderly person had begun to cross when the bikes were 25-30 metres away, would any or all of the cyclists been able to stop safely in time from 37mph?

But if a middle-aged person had begun to cross ... what happens then?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Cars travelling at 30mph do different things than cyclists, pedestrians and gummy bears due to their size and weight. Therefore they have different restrictions.

apart from the gummy bears , I would have thought cars , cyclists and pedestrians all do pretty much the same when hitting an immovable object at over 30mph - not that ive got any data to show it , but guessing its gonna hurt something . if I had just gave a grandma a 39mph head butt I would be curious what the copper would say if I said " but speed limits don't apply to me "

mjr

On a dry level road, not quite (stopping distance estimate from 37mph from one calculator is 33m) but there are two saving graces: 1. people won't simply appear and begin to cross without warning, so from when they became visible heading towards the crossing, any competent cyclists would signal "ease up" to the group and start slowing; 2. the conflict/potential-collision point is not at the edge of the road where the crossing begins. That extra metre or two for the person crossing makes it almost certain the cyclists would have been able to stop before hitting them. Problems usually seem to happen when incompetent cyclists decide they can swerve and avoid the person crossing without stopping, then the person turns around or runs forwards or ....

mjr

apart from the gummy bears , I would have thought cars , cyclists and pedestrians all do pretty much the same when hitting an immovable object at over 30mph - not that ive got any data to show it , but guessing its gonna hurt something .
They don't "all do pretty much the same". One of cars, cyclists and pedestrians will do massively more damage than the other groups when hitting something or someone at 30mph. Would you care to guess which?

if I had just gave a grandma a 39mph head butt I would be curious what the copper would say if I said " but speed limits don't apply to me "
They probably won't care because you would have committed more than enough other offences to get you to court. Even if you'd been on a motorcycle, it seems it's too difficult to prove speeding into a collision with the certainty required, so they don't often charge it if there's more obvious offences whose punishment will dwarf the points and fine anyway.

I don't remember ever reading a news story about a cyclist sneezing, losing control and demolishing an occupied house.

But it would be entirely possible for a cyclist to sneeze while riding a bike at 39mph and kill or main a pedestrian by riding into them. It has happened before. Not often, but that is because that's not a speed most cyclists are capable of or comfortable with.

I am not really interested in working out the relative kinetic energy of different vehicles. It makes no difference - either way, the person you hit in either vehicle at 39mph is likely to be killed or badly injured.

Rather than justify us being allowed to ride faster than cars on some spurious quasi legal argument, can we just agree that one point and answer my question. How would you feel if you killed someone by riding too fast for the road conditions?

Top Bottom