'Cyclists kill or maim two pedestrians every week, according to statistics'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Well don't just 'throw ideas around'. Look at the facts.
You state; "Could it be that the shared use paths that've been appearing in recent decades, putting bicycles and peds in close proximity isn't really working? "
No, it couldn't be. There is no evidence supporting your question. Leave such rhetoric to the hysterical anti-cycling, bigoted, and hate promoting sections of the press.
OK, since you're moderating this thread.. please explain why i can't just throw ideas around?
And as a quick tip, a sentence that starts with 'could' and ends with a question mark isn't a statement, it's question. Am i allowed to ask questions? And do i really need supporting evidence before a question is asked?

Last edited:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I don't think the per mile stats are a decent stat to look at here, far more accurate and much simpler is the sliding scale:-

Please place in order, from best to worst, the things that could strike you:-

a. pedestrian
b. jogger/runner
c. cyclist
d. motorbike
e. car
f. lorry/bus

Now if anyone is saying they'd rather be hit by a car than a bicycle then there is an argument for trying to compare the two.

As pointed out elsewhere:
I can't be arsed to recalculate, but my numbers were cyclists vs cars. Yours were cyclists vs not-cyclists. So that at least partly explains the discrepancy.

Once again - a straight "per mile" calculation is such a gross over-simplification. As relevant as comparing the fatalities-by-mile of the Apollo space missions.

Well, ok. Do you feel keen to do the maths? :smile:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ment_data/file/514912/road-use-statistics.pdf

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 19.12.53.jpg

Now if anyone is saying they'd rather be hit by a car than a bicycle then there is an argument for trying to compare the two.
Intuition says I'd much better off being hit by a bicycle than a car. My intuition also says I am less likely to sustain a head injury walking a mile than cycling a mile. Apparently my intuition is wrong about the latter, so shouldn't we at least question our assumptions about the former?

The result of a single collision is only a tiny part of the story. I'd much prefer to be stung by a bee than bitten by a funnel web spider. No surprises to which kill more people in Australia. (Hint: it's bees)

_87882943_funnelweb.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4997614, member: 9609"]So may be it is worth pointing out that if we are going to look at the stats then what we really need is more laws to stop cars killing pedestrians as the figures show motor vehicles are 3 x more dangerous to pedestrians.[/QUOTE]
Isn't what we really need more traffic police to enforce the current laws to stop motorists (not cars) killing?

But instead, it's cheaper just to turn the current laws up to 11 and ignore the policing cuts https://www.gov.uk/government/news/life-sentences-for-killer-drivers

boydj

Legendary Member
The West Midlands Police Close Pass Op has shown dramatically how some active enforcement can reduce KSIs across the board.

Top Bottom