'Cyclists kill or maim two pedestrians every week, according to statistics'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Um......
Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 12.20.15.jpg

benb

Evidence based cyclist

Thanks.
Here it is again.
BTUqaBIIYAAb2w5_preview.jpeg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Could it be that the shared use paths that've been appearing in recent decades, putting bicycles and peds in close proximity isn't really working? Maybe it's time to revise the initiative and consider putting wheeled vehicles back on the roads where they belong... and clamp down on inconsiderate road use to make the space safer for all, leaving the pavements for peds and kids on scooters.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Could it be that the shared use paths that've been appearing in recent decades, putting bicycles and peds in close proximity isn't really working?
It used to be the case that most pedestrians KSId by cycles were in the road (where cycling speeds are generally higher even when pedestrians are around) so your point is baseless, although I've not checked the 2016 data (if it's available in sufficient detail yet) so there's a tiny chance that's changed but I'd be surprised.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It used to be the case that most pedestrians KSId by cycles were in the road (where cycling speeds are generally higher even when pedestrians are around) so your point is baseless, although I've not checked the 2016 data (if it's available in sufficient detail yet) so there's a tiny chance that's changed but I'd be surprised.
I wasn't making a point... i was just throwing ideas around.

Buddfox

Veteran
Should this analysis also consider the greater number of miles travelled by cars over cyclists? Does that change the conclusions?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Should this analysis also consider the greater number of miles travelled by cars over cyclists? Does that change the conclusions?

Even if you take that into account drivers are many times more likely to KSI.
But even if that wasn't the case, when looking where to expend resources on harm reduction you would use absolute risk not relative risk to decide.

User269

I wasn't making a point... i was just throwing ideas around.
Well don't just 'throw ideas around'. Look at the facts.
You state; "Could it be that the shared use paths that've been appearing in recent decades, putting bicycles and peds in close proximity isn't really working? "
No, it couldn't be. There is no evidence supporting your question. Leave such rhetoric to the hysterical anti-cycling, bigoted, and hate promoting sections of the press.

... the greater number of miles travelled by cars over cyclists? Does that change the conclusions?
Red herring.

Or at least - it's a nasty, underhand piece of spin. Not by you personally. It comes, I suspect, from the anti-cycling brigade. And we mustn't fall for it, or accept it.

Cut out the miles travelled by cars on motorways, cut out the intercity journeys, cut out the caravan-towing and holiday journeys, cut out the miles travelled by cars on journeys over ... say 10 miles (?), cut out the miles cars transport families, cut out ... any number of journeys made by cars which are entirely different from, and impractical as, cycling journeys. Then we might be able to think about conclusions.

From another thread, it seems per mile we are deadlier than cars.

(working is mine)
View attachment 377298
That's rather worrying. According to the Dft, bicycles travel a little over 1% of the annual distance travelled by cars, yet the relative fatality rate is 1.7% of cars. I'd hope it to be much smaller not 70% greater.

Obviously the total is pretty small, so presumably could be represent an anomaly, but maybe we are a greater hazard than we think to other vulnerable road users.

Buddfox

Veteran
Red herring.

Or at least - it's a nasty, underhand piece of spin. Not by you personally. It comes, I suspect, from the anti-cycling brigade. And we mustn't fall for it, or accept it.

Cut out the miles travelled by cars on motorways, cut out the intercity journeys, cut out the caravan-towing and holiday journeys, cut out the miles travelled by cars on journeys over ... say 10 miles (?), cut out the miles cars transport families, cut out ... any number of journeys made by cars which are entirely different from, and impractical as, cycling journeys. Then we might be able to think about conclusions.

This is how I was thinking about it. I think the logic of considering, in some way, how much time each vehicle type is on the road, is worth doing, but taking the total doesn't make sense. To take just one of the examples you list, motorway miles should surely be excluded, because neither pedestrians nor bicycles use motorways.

But I also recognise the points made about absolute outcomes as well. It is the number of people (measured absolutely) that are being killed or seriously injured that should determine the start point of any mitigating action.

Top Bottom