Cyclists Makes Mistake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't tell Glenn Forger :ohmy:

I did something similar once, thought I could make it to the ASL before the lights changed, thought wrong. It's a bit late when you find yourself sandwiched between a moving bus and a truck though. This is how a lot of nasty ones happen. Fair play to the truck driver.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm quite sure I'm missing something, but wasn't the HGV not going anywhere anyway? The bus was but the highway maintenance vehicles were parked up whilst their owners had a chat by the lights?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm quite sure I'm missing something, but wasn't the HGV not going anywhere anyway? The bus was but the highway maintenance vehicles were parked up whilst their owners had a chat by the lights?
That's how I saw it too. Bus moves off, rider realises it could swing in and stops to avoid being pinched.

Origamist

Legendary Member

Quite possibly, although the flat bed seems to be indicating right as the cyclist comes past. Also the two men in hi viz near the lights seem to be waving (at the HGV?). The HGV's engine is also running. In any case, the cyclist was not really in a position to make that call when he went for the gap as it appears to be stationary, waiting for the traffic lights to change...

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Possibly, although the flat bed seems to be indicating right as the cyclist comes past. Also the two men in hi viz near the lights seem to be waving/beckoning(?) the HGV forward - its engine is also running. In any case, the cyclist was not really in a position to make that call when he went for the gap as it appears to be stationary traffic at the lights...
I agree that the cyclist didn't put himself in the best of positions to say the least, but the impression I had was that the first truck had the big arrow flashing to get everybody over into the other lane as stuff was stopped in front of it.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I agree that the cyclist didn't put himself in the best of positions to say the least, but the impression I had was that the first truck had the big arrow flashing to get everybody over into the other lane as stuff was stopped in front of it.

Yep, that is a reasonable assumption to make. There are conflicting signals though and they should make you extra wary!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Yep, that is a reasonable assumption to make. There are conflicting signals though and they should make you extra wary!
I wouldn't have gone anywhere near it myself, I probably would have waited behind the car which was indicating to come round the HGVs and gone off with that. As I said I thought I was missing something because I couldn't see that the truck was going anywhere, where as it seemed to be being suggested that it was.

Top Bottom