Cyclist's offences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
While doing some family history research I randomly came across this from a Sunderland newspaper in 1935

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Are kids really that different today? Gave wrong name and address. Typical behaviour. :laugh:

Good street name though, should be safe :-)

I found that Mrs MQ g.grandparents had a knife fight after he (and a mate) went round to see her after she found out he'd been previously married. She ended up pulling a knife on him and he got send down for a few months. For some reason, that hadn't been handed down in the family stories :-).

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
I actually know someone who has a conviction for that after taking a lift home on a friend's crossbar from a party while at college in the late 1990s. A court appearance and a IR£5 fine.:laugh:

Good to know that these dangerous criminals are dealt with whilst speeding phone-using drivers aren't being inconvenienced.

Drago

Legendary Member
I never figured what people think theyll gain from lying about their identity to the dibble. In many cases the punishment for that is more painful than the relatively minor punishment they'd have got for the original crime.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Good street name though, should be safe :-)

I found that Mrs MQ g.grandparents had a knife fight after he (and a mate) went round to see her after she found out he'd been previously married. She ended up pulling a knife on him and he got send down for a few months. For some reason, that hadn't been handed down in the family stories :-).
The reason I was looking at the newspaper was the article next to it about my relative who killed her common law husband with a cobbler's knife. The story was handed down but my grandma always whispered when she talked about it. And crossed the road to avoid the woman if she saw her.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I suppose that, in the past when there were more police out & about on foot (& cycling), heinous crimes such as 'giving a backy' or cycling on the pavement would have been prosecuted more often.

The reason I was looking at the newspaper was the article next to it about my relative who killed her common law husband with a cobbler's knife. The story was handed down but my grandma always whispered when she talked about it. And crossed the road to avoid the woman if she saw her.

Wow. You win, thought I'd have trumped your ancestor/relative fined for a backie.

Top Bottom