Cyclists - Please stop at red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

I think any of us that love cycling and cycle on our busy roads want to see safer roads for cyclists but the amount of times I see cyclists riding through red stop lights, picking their way through traffic, appalls me.
Do they realise how much this infuriates some motor vehicle drivers. Its dangerous and rude. No wonder cyclists get a bad name.
Anyone reading this that engages in this practice - STOP IT. Your making it worse for ever other road user.

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
Never gonna happen with due respect.Not condoning it but just saying there isn't enough of a deterrent to stop it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think any of us that love cycling and cycle on our busy roads want to see safer roads for cyclists but the amount of times I see cyclists riding through red stop lights, picking their way through traffic, appalls me.
Do they realise how much this infuriates some motor vehicle drivers. Its dangerous and rude. No wonder cyclists get a bad name.
Anyone reading this that engages in this practice - STOP IT. Your making it worse for ever other road user.
You're new here, right?:rolleyes:

OP
OP
P

Pauluk

ianrauk, some may argue that drinking alcohol improves their driving and using mobile phones while driving is just being sociable.

ladyjulian

One of my favourite commuting anecdotes: I was level with a council van thing, riding through central London, and we both stopped at a red light, and a couple of suicide cyclists came whizzing past, straight through the red, swerving to avoid oncoming traffic. Light went green, we carried on, and I got ahead, then he got ahead, and we both stopped at a red light, whereupon a couple of cyclists came whizzing past, straight through the red and disappeared. Light went green, we carried on, and we got to a pedestrian crossing, where we both stopped, and a couple of cyclists came straight through, narrowly missing the pedestrians with their superskillz. We carried on, and just as I thought I'd lose him, we both had to stand on the brakes a bit sharpish as a hipster came straight out of a side road without looking and nearly got hit by both of us.

By this time Mr Van had had enough, and since the cyclists who'd upset him were nowhere to be seen, leant out of his window and shouted "farking cyclists!" at me. :rolleyes:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
ianrauk, some may argue that drinking alcohol improves their driving and using mobile phones while driving is just being sociable.

I echo what Rich P has posted.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
By this time Mr Van had had enough, and since the cyclists who'd upset him were nowhere to be seen, leant out of his window and shouted "****ing cyclists!" at me. :rolleyes:

same brush tarred with we are... says Yoda...

Similar thing happened to me.
Cyclist acting like an arse down the A21, weaving in and out, rlj. yet I got the flack off a driver for it. Said something like "Tell your mate to learn to ride a bike properly".

"My mate? Get the ferk outta here" was my reply.
He reply was "you're all the bloody same"......Seeing as the driver had probably followed myself and the arse of a cyclist along the road, his jumping to that conclusion was pretty wide of the mark.

If I weave and rlj, I weave and rlj properly. :thumbsup::laugh:

Moodyman

Legendary Member

Nowt wrong with filtering in and around stationery traffic.

snorri

Legendary Member
Do they realise how much this infuriates some motor vehicle drivers.
Do these same drivers become infuriated by cars parked on pavements, cars jumping red lights, cars overtaking cyclists too closely, drivers using mobile phones etc etc.?
Infuriated drivers are dangerous drivers, we should be ensuring these drivers get appropriate counselling before driving again.

Top Bottom