Cyclists pulling out in front of me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

It's more of a problem with car drivers pulling out rather then cyclists.
One of my biggest beefs with motons is when they don't stop at the junction, but slowly creep forward. You have no idea whether they are actually going to pull out or not. Bloody idiots.

I don't like this one either, the other one is the driver on the right that wont wait till you past, instead they pull out and stay in the centre of the road, always makes me wonder, are they staying right, will they get in front before they pull to the left?
Cyclist pulling out in front of me isn't something I come across very often, but there again I see very few other cyclists when I'm commuting.

A habit I encounter far more than I would have expected to is cyclists turning left out of left hand side roads, straight into my path. I cannot fathom why it happens so frequently? In the past few years in Oxford I have hit one and nearly been hit by a car swerving to avoid another. I know many will reply that I should expect it to happen and be prepared in case they do, which is what I do with drivers in side roads by making eye contact, however, I do no believe it to be practical to slow at every side road at which a cyclist is waiting to pull out from.

I have read the piece (http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/) by the RAF pilot on why people may not spot cyclists as easily as cars, but given I have only once or twice had a SMIDSY with a car pulling out it doesn't explain why it happens more frequently by cyclists. Perhaps it's because I'm cycling faster than they're expecting?

I thought I would see if anyone else has similar experiences?
Ah! You mentioned Oxford, synonymous with Cambridge, ie students, to be more precise foreign students, many is the time I played the game of chicken with them on a cycle path when they believed a madman [ok that part may be true] was coming towards them on the wrong side. Happy days.

Top Bottom