Cyclists urged to slow in parks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Umm.... Is it worth pointing out that every animal, including our lovely variety of wildlife will be leaving little messages around in the great outdoors. Should be be teaching our foxes to wipe their bottoms....:ohmy:

Cab

Crackle said:
Well first I'm not an animal lover. All animals have a purpose including my dog.

Secondly I eat intensively farmed foods myself and, I repeat, 'cause you don't seem to get it.

In which case your 'morals' and mine are irreconcilable; you believe that it is appropriate to intensively farm animals to feed both yourself and your dog, and you don't give a fig for the health implications for other people associated with your recreation. I believe that we have a collective responsibility to each other than that animal welfare matters. I wouldn't say that I consider my moral stance superior to yours... Actually, what am I talking about, yes, I really would say that I find your moral position indefensible.

End of.

Cab

magnatom said:
Umm.... Is it worth pointing out that every animal, including our lovely variety of wildlife will be leaving little messages around in the great outdoors. Should be be teaching our foxes to wipe their bottoms....:ohmy:

There are several differences, of course. Not the least of which being that dogs are excercised in the same place that people excercise, serving no ecololgical function.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't suppose it makes any difference, Cab, that the actual harm done by all these vicious bacteria is...well...I guess it must be somewhere between zero and as near to bugger all as makes no difference, while the pleasure and mental health benefits dogs bring their owners - including innumerable pensioners and many lonely people - are immense.

No, thought not...

Cab

swee said:
The problem here is that 'mental health' is the new 'infectious disease'. It is perceived that if you've got a bug you go to the doctor, he gives you pills, you get better, but thats very much part of the problem we have with regard to the massive increase in antibiotic resistance and the actually quite shocking rate of enteric infections we have in the Western world. What people fear instead of infectious disease is 'mental illness', which matters of course, but it ain't the be all and end all.

I like dogs, but I require of any owner of any animal, vehicle or anything else for that matter that they behave in such a way as to minimise risk to others; if you believe that spreading canine fecal matter with a plastic bag and taking most but not all of it away is actually minimising risk for others then you are, simply, wrong.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I was going along Cable Street by the Tower last week. There is a wide pavement and a moderate 2 lane cycle path. I was following a couple on MTBs. On one stretch there were road works on the pavement leaving only the CP to be shared. An elderly lady was walking along with 3 small terriers on leads and had reached this point at the same time as us. The man on the MTB tried to bully her off the CP, came right up close to her and rang his bell. The works were only for about 7 metres so he would only have been held up for a couple of seconds or, if he was in that much of a hurry, the road was empty.

Cab

swee said:
and disinfect[/i]* sites soiled by their pets, there is no rational argument against that unless you believe that exposing others to needless risk is reasonable.

And into this moral mess falls a request for cyclsits not to mow down Mr Fluffypoosh while he's defacating off the lead.

*Yes, that means you too cat people.

Cab

BentMikey said:
When you commit to a point of view, Cab, you're like a bull terrier. All grip, fight, and not enough thought, IMO.

This point is entirely thought through; its not like anyone disputes the bacteriology, its clearly true. The risk is irrefutable. That we're asked to simply stomach that for others entertainment... Why? I mean, I'm not asked to poisoning for the right of others to eat fugu, why are we asked to risk infection for the right of others not to disinfect their own pets mess.

Cab said:
In which case your 'morals' and mine are irreconcilable; you believe that it is appropriate to intensively farm animals to feed both yourself and your dog, and you don't give a fig for the health implications for other people associated with your recreation. I believe that we have a collective responsibility to each other than that animal welfare matters. I wouldn't say that I consider my moral stance superior to yours... Actually, what am I talking about, yes, I really would say that I find your moral position indefensible.

End of.

Yes end of as I knock down your last point in your rather narrow and blinkered point of view.

So you don't eat cooked chickens, kebabs, KFC, burgers, hot dogs etc... the list is long but you don't eat them, you never have and you never will.

I eat the best I can afford and get. Same with my dog, I pay more for his food and get him the best available. Since you waded in, I've been trying to find out more where that food comes from. I'll let you know the results but I am fairly certain it's not rendered crap.

You clearly have issues Cab. Your inability to acknowledge other people views, thoughts or feelings when more than one person has said how willing they are to control their dog to take into account others views has no impact on you.

Once again you've repeated your views on dog bacteria and not put into any kind of perpsective which people can actually judge it on. C'mon, give us a scale, some examples. At least then we can gain some perspective.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Visions of people pursuing their pussy-cats over the rooftops in the light of the moon, with a wet-wipe and a bottle of Dettol....

Owooooooooooooooooooo!

Cab

Crackle said:
Yes end of as I knock down your last point in your rather narrow and blinkered point of view.

So you don't eat cooked chickens, kebabs, KFC, burgers, hot dogs etc... the list is long but you don't eat them, you never have and you never will.

Nope. I don't. Never have? Not since I started making my own informed choices on food. Never will? Well, don't plan to.

I eat the best I can afford and get.

I'd sooner be a vegetarian than live on factory farmed meat; morality isn't something you can or should abandon just in favour of having a more interesting diet. Besides, by shopping smart (direct from producers) I get ethical meat for less than the price of factory farmed rubbish in supermarkets. There is no economic argument for eating factory farmed meat; to do so is not a necessity, and it is avoidable by careful shopping.

Same with my dog, I pay more for his food and get him the best available. Since you waded in, I've been trying to find out more where that food comes from. I'll let you know the results but I am fairly certain it's not rendered crap.

Rendered? When did I ever mentione rendered food? What matters with regard to animal welfare is how it is raised, not what happens afterwards. You don't know the source of the meat fed to your animals? Shocking, in my view.

You clearly have issues Cab.

(further cut unread)

Thats the third dig; three strikes, I'm just not reding anything you write on this topic until you quit the personal sniping. Re-post without and I'll consider it.

Cab

[quote name='swee'pea99']Visions of people pursuing their pussy-cats over the rooftops in the light of the moon, with a wet-wipe and a bottle of Dettol....

Owooooooooooooooooooo![/QUOTE]

If you can't stop a pet from defacating all over the place, don't have that pet. I've a right not to have cat s41t in my garden or in the street, I have a right to know that other peoples pets aren't dafacating in the food I'm growing to eat. Such represnets a real risk; why should someone be allowed to force that on their neighbours?

Top Bottom