"Cyclists who don't use cycle lanes are tXXXs"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

.stu

Über Member
I would have to write a blog post at least as long as his in order to point out all the errors in the piece, and basically life's too short.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
from cache

"
So you're a cyclist? I thought you were just a twat!

The debate between us payers of road tax and those cyclists will always rage on however there are a few points that no cyclist has ever managed to explain or justify, one of which is particularly serious and holds a heavy weight with me that Will become very clear later. There is a number of Top Gear episodes where a variety of points are satirically made about the liberties taken by cyclists and while on the whole I agree with Jezza, issues like running red lights, using bus lanes, cutting through traffic etc. are only really, with typical BBC ignorance, irrelevant outside of London. In that small place known as the rest of England the issues are arguably more dangerous.

It seems like every time I venture out I am encountering large groups of these sweaty, Lycra clad people on blind country bends often 4 abreast or in the middle of the lane and on one recent occasion one of the group was actually wobbling back and forth across the white line when the gap between them and the verge was about 3 foot! There is no excuse for this on a tight, twisty, hedge lined road with cars travelling in both directions at 60mph! It quite simply leaves you nowhere to go, it's either head on collision or hit the cyclist and why do they do this? Why don't they stick close to verge like you are taught in the old Cycling Profficiency? Because.... The bikes they are clipped into, that's right clipped into meaning you can't simply take your feet off the pedals, are so light and made for smooth velodrome-esque surfaces that they aren't suitable for the bumps.

This is the same reason I have heard for my next issue with these imbeciles (that they can't take their feet off the pedals and will die if they hit a tiny bump or stone) which in order to explain fully I need to tell you a true story:

A number of years ago, a family friend bought a new and rather large motor home, you know the type big American style! Now she was no stranger to big vehicles having just sold a Range Rover and huge caravan in favour of said 'RV'. Well as she was driving on a dual carriageway and still getting used to the size of it she clipped a cyclist with the passenger wing mirror and caused him a head injury that would later result in an unfortunate and premature death. Now the roundabout in question is quite a small, offset one to the carriageway and therefore the approach isn't straight and with cars in the outside lane to, there was basically not enough room. A tragic waste of life made even more tragic by the fact that around four feet to the left was a proper cycle lane that is smooth and even wide enough for 2 side by side cyclists. This is something I regularly encounter on this same stretch of road and even worse still along Southport's Coastal Road, which is the road with the highest accident and death rate in the area, where again there is an excellent cycle lane running along side separated by bollards and a gravel verge. This can't be just a local issue, it's too common for that and it's hugely dangerous.

HOW is it acceptable to cause so much danger just for their own desire to ride a bike that quite simply should not be allowed on the road. The regulations a car or motorbike is required to meet for it to be allowed on the road is immense so why are there no rules stopping a cyclist being clipped to a bike that is dangerous on public roads? There really should be something done about this but it seems cyclists are protected by a level of arrogance that clouds any wrong doing as just 'car people's meaningless rants'. This isn't the case, this is dangerous and the worst thing is when pointing out the dangers you are treated with abuse and pure ignorance and arrogance, a kind of 'who are you as a motorist to tell me a cyclist to use the cycle lane and not the carriageway'.

When speed limits are enforced it is said to be to save lives and prevent potential accidents, so why are there no laws and no fines covering this dangerous cycling and unsuitable bicycles? Well, your guess is as good as mine because there is simply no logic or explanation for it!

As a side to this, the rest of the world doesn't want to see a 60 year olds sweaty dripping arse crack barely shrink wrapped in Lycra underwear. Do yourselves a favour cyclists, sell your unsuitable light weight bikes, get off the roads and go mountain biking! It's more exciting and the views are much better. It's also much healthier breathing in that country air and not the fumes of overtaking angry motorists and well lets face it, you guys don't like the abuse you get so everyone will be happier. You know that would make sense, everyone wins!!

CS
"

andyfraser

Über Member
The article's gone again and so have the tweets and the reference to wanting to be a motoring journalist. Maybe he's realised he's no good at it.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
from cache

"
So you're a cyclist? I thought you were just a twat!

The debate between us payers of road tax and those cyclists will always rage on however there are a few points that no cyclist has ever managed to explain or justify, one of which is particularly serious and holds a heavy weight with me that Will become very clear later. There is a number of Top Gear episodes where a variety of points are satirically made about the liberties taken by cyclists and while on the whole I agree with Jezza, issues like running red lights, using bus lanes, cutting through traffic etc. are only really, with typical BBC ignorance, irrelevant outside of London. In that small place known as the rest of England the issues are arguably more dangerous.

It seems like every time I venture out I am encountering large groups of these sweaty, Lycra clad people on blind country bends often 4 abreast or in the middle of the lane and on one recent occasion one of the group was actually wobbling back and forth across the white line when the gap between them and the verge was about 3 foot! There is no excuse for this on a tight, twisty, hedge lined road with cars travelling in both directions at 60mph! It quite simply leaves you nowhere to go, it's either head on collision or hit the cyclist and why do they do this? Why don't they stick close to verge like you are taught in the old Cycling Profficiency? Because.... The bikes they are clipped into, that's right clipped into meaning you can't simply take your feet off the pedals, are so light and made for smooth velodrome-esque surfaces that they aren't suitable for the bumps.

This is the same reason I have heard for my next issue with these imbeciles (that they can't take their feet off the pedals and will die if they hit a tiny bump or stone) which in order to explain fully I need to tell you a true story:

A number of years ago, a family friend bought a new and rather large motor home, you know the type big American style! Now she was no stranger to big vehicles having just sold a Range Rover and huge caravan in favour of said 'RV'. Well as she was driving on a dual carriageway and still getting used to the size of it she clipped a cyclist with the passenger wing mirror and caused him a head injury that would later result in an unfortunate and premature death. Now the roundabout in question is quite a small, offset one to the carriageway and therefore the approach isn't straight and with cars in the outside lane to, there was basically not enough room. A tragic waste of life made even more tragic by the fact that around four feet to the left was a proper cycle lane that is smooth and even wide enough for 2 side by side cyclists. This is something I regularly encounter on this same stretch of road and even worse still along Southport's Coastal Road, which is the road with the highest accident and death rate in the area, where again there is an excellent cycle lane running along side separated by bollards and a gravel verge. This can't be just a local issue, it's too common for that and it's hugely dangerous.

HOW is it acceptable to cause so much danger just for their own desire to ride a bike that quite simply should not be allowed on the road. The regulations a car or motorbike is required to meet for it to be allowed on the road is immense so why are there no rules stopping a cyclist being clipped to a bike that is dangerous on public roads? There really should be something done about this but it seems cyclists are protected by a level of arrogance that clouds any wrong doing as just 'car people's meaningless rants'. This isn't the case, this is dangerous and the worst thing is when pointing out the dangers you are treated with abuse and pure ignorance and arrogance, a kind of 'who are you as a motorist to tell me a cyclist to use the cycle lane and not the carriageway'.

When speed limits are enforced it is said to be to save lives and prevent potential accidents, so why are there no laws and no fines covering this dangerous cycling and unsuitable bicycles? Well, your guess is as good as mine because there is simply no logic or explanation for it!

As a side to this, the rest of the world doesn't want to see a 60 year olds sweaty dripping arse crack barely shrink wrapped in Lycra underwear. Do yourselves a favour cyclists, sell your unsuitable light weight bikes, get off the roads and go mountain biking! It's more exciting and the views are much better. It's also much healthier breathing in that country air and not the fumes of overtaking angry motorists and well lets face it, you guys don't like the abuse you get so everyone will be happier. You know that would make sense, everyone wins!!

CS
"
Well, I can't see anything to disagree with there.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

"A tragic waste of life made even more tragic by the fact that.." it's made-up. No cyclist has been killed that way in the UK. So Craig Stoker makes up dead cyclists to bolster his argument. Craig Stoker's a terrible, indecent person.

Top Bottom