Cyclists-who-fail-to-use-dedicated-lanes-could-be-fined ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
http://www.itv.com/news/london/2015-06-09/cyclists-who-fail-to-use-dedicated-lanes-could-be-fined/

Cyclists in London could be forced to use new bike lanes and banned from other parts of the road, according to Boris Johnson.

stream_img.jpg

Credit: PA
The mayor is in talks with senior officials at Transport for London about making Cycle Superhighways 'mandatory'.

stream_img.jpg

A ban on cyclists using other traffic lanes appeared to suggest the possibility of fines.

The rule is likely to apply only to fully segregated bike lanes where a physical barrier protects cyclists from other traffic.

stream_img.jpg

TfL is spending more than £60m to create two new superhighways from Kings Cross to Elephant and Castle and from Tower Hill to Lancaster Gate.

Some existing bike lanes are also being upgraded to fully-segregated status.

Cyclists would be absolutely crazy not to use safe cycle superhighways.

– BORIS JOHNSON, MAYOR OF LONDON
Last updated Tue 9 Jun 2015

Profpointy

Legendary Member
(even) more serious than the fines would be the carte-blanche for motorists to biff cyclists with impunity

vickster

Legendary Member
ggggrrrr why does everyone who doesn't cycle think that cycle lanes are safer.......oh yeah that's right they don't think.....
Maybe they are if
a) segregated from the rest of the traffic by a physical barrier and drivers can't park in them, like for example the current CS routes
b) are uninterrupted for a decent distance and are wide enough for a cyclist to pass another safely, but with safe ingress and egress points
c) are not shared with buses, taxis, motorcycles
d) are well maintained and kept clear of rubbish

I'd be quite happy to use such lanes myself, although it might take a mindset change from some of the aggressive MGIF cyclists I've had the misfortune to encounter

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Maybe they are if
a) segregated from the rest of the traffic by a physical barrier and drivers can't park in them, like for example the current CS routes
b) are uninterrupted for a decent distance and are wide enough for a cyclist to pass another safely, but with safe ingress and egress points
c) are not shared with buses, taxis, motorcycles

d) are well maintained and kept clear of rubbish

I'd be quite happy to use such lanes myself, although it might take a mindset change from some of the aggressive MGIF cyclists I've had the misfortune to encounter

As a wise man is fond of saying... show us the drawing...

It's very sad that even experienced cyclists will consider surrendering their right to the road in exchange for a pipe dream.

vickster

Legendary Member
Frankly given the crap I've been through since being knocked off on CS7, I'm quite happy to ride segregated away from traffic :smile: IF conditions are met as I considered above

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Lets hope it doesn't hapen as a half a**ed scheme (haha) and isn't picked up by other cities with barely a sniff of the infra London has already.

Alan Turing way in Manchester is a segregated cycle lane, (low) kerbed from the roadway and on a different level to the pavement.

It is: frequented by pedestrians, just wide enough to cycle on your own but not pass anyone, less clean and more prone to standing water than the footway or road, does not offer safe and effective right turning opportunities, occasionally cuts out to just shared pavement provision or small parts not kerbed from the roadway & on a few occasions when Man City have been at home I have seen cars mount the kerbed bit and park across it, blocking it completely. And this is the best A to B cycle lane I know of in Manchester.

Top Bottom