Cyclists who use strobe lights are...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Sometimes the actions of a cyclist can be a contributory factor in an accident. Dazzling drivers with superbright leds is not imo a sensible thing to do.
What realistically is happening is that fear is dictating the uptake of brighter and brighter lights in a "please, god, see me!" sense. I dont think most cyclists understand the side effects of cheaply angled LEDs etc.Some do when you point it out to them.

Drivers with fog lights on all the time are sometimes the same.

.. or as happened with one of Portsmouths finest HAckney Carriage operators.

Pulled out in front of me at a junction and I managed to stop about two feet from his highly illuminated door!
Me... Did you not seethe big bright lights?
Taxi driver... Yeah, but I thought you were a motorbike, they have good enough brakes to have stopped further away than you did!

So this guy was pulling out in front of any vehicle, no matter what it was... on the grounds that they would have to (and be able to ) stop

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

Pulled out in front of me at a junction and I managed to stop about two feet from his highly illuminated door!
Taxi driver... Yeah, but I thought you were a motorbike, they have good enough brakes to have stopped further away than you did!

So this guy was pulling out in front of any vehicle, no matter what it was... on the grounds that they would have to (and be able to ) stop
He also doesnt know motorbikes...

phil-b

Über Member
[

I have noticed when driving my car more people are doing this. Instead of giving way correctly if they can get a nose in front of you they will pull out forcing you to slow down or stop to let them out. I know the roads are getting more busy but this is a dangerous tactic. Unfortunately some drivers priority is not safe driving but shortening their journey time.

Svendo

Guru
I am turning into a self righteous old git.
Told two people off about their lights yesterday. Getting home towards twilight going through waterfoot towards Bacup, chap with a Magicshine level brightness on constant but pointing straight ahead, I shouted point it down more! I don't feel to bad, considering there a balance between his need ot be seen by cars pulling out and my need not to be fixatred by the shiny shiny thing, and then blinded by the dazzle, as well as just annoyed.
Then shortly after whilst piling down Bacup road towards Todmorden cyclist coming uphill (looked like a roadie type commuter) had his with a not so dazzling aim but set on strobe. I shouted 'that strobe is bloody evil' as I hurtled past. Probably sounded like 'Thatrbss........' for him.

I am turning into a self righteous old git.
Told two people off about their lights yesterday. Getting home towards twilight going through waterfoot towards Bacup, chap with a Magicshine level brightness on constant but pointing straight ahead, I shouted point it down more! I don't feel to bad, considering there a balance between his need ot be seen by cars pulling out and my need not to be fixatred by the shiny shiny thing, and then blinded by the dazzle, as well as just annoyed.
Then shortly after whilst piling down Bacup road towards Todmorden cyclist coming uphill (looked like a roadie type commuter) had his with a not so dazzling aim but set on strobe. I shouted 'that strobe is bloody evil' as I hurtled past. Probably sounded like 'Thatrbss........' for him.

You need to be quicker!

I normally shout 'Low!' at any nobbers I see off road that are doing no one in front of them any favors, then on the offchance you get an aggressive nobber who doesn't like been shouted at you can just say 'I said Hello!' lolol

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread was reading this before setting off into the torrential rain the other night.

I cycle along busy, dark countryside roads and strobe lights are without doubt very effective at making you seen and giving you a wide berth. I don't use it for a front light or in areas with other cyclists.

This sort of debate always remind me of how considerate we all are. Whenever I sit outside on a weekend afternoon all I hear are motorcyclists who fit exhausts so loud that everyone within a kilometre can hear them, in the name of safety. Yet we obsess about slightly annoying lights!

Lonestar

Veteran
Yup on my last commute I needed lights on the way in...but I did leave at 03:15am.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread was reading this before setting off into the torrential rain the other night.

I cycle along busy, dark countryside roads and strobe lights are without doubt very effective at making you seen and giving you a wide berth. I don't use it for a front light or in areas with other cyclists.

This sort of debate always remind me of how considerate we all are. Whenever I sit outside on a weekend afternoon all I hear are motorcyclists who fit exhausts so loud that everyone within a kilometre can hear them, in the name of safety. Yet we obsess about slightly annoying lights!

Yup...I've met some pretty bright lights and none at all.I know what I prefer.

Top Bottom