Cyclists without lights....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a chat with one ...

Ninja - Your lights are too f***ing bright
Me - That's so i can see all the cyclists without lights
Ninja - F*** Off

Yep - Darwin rules!

Since its turned a bit darker earlier out there I've not seen too many cyclist without lights, I don't know if that's a good thing or not :biggrin:.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Cunobelin said:
Posted elsewhere - I have lights - BIG lights, a Maxx Exposure, one ofthe brightest on the market, yet a taxi still pulled out on fornt of me - because he thought I was a motorbike!

He was of the opinion that a motorcyclist would have good brakes and therefore stop!

This is the big problem - a lot of vehicles will see the lights / Hi-Viz etc and then either discount you as an irrelevance, or simply in their way. This is what needs to be dealt with. Until then thee is little point in lights!

I've had the opposite experience 'cause I've found an evil set of lights generally gives you some road presence in the dark. I've had a car coming the other way stop in puzzlement at WTF was approaching. I think he thought he was going to be abducted. They're also useful to persuade drivers that cyclists too appreciate dipped headlights when passing - knocking mine on to 'full beam' soon gets the message across.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A few cyclists this week when seeing me coming towards them with my LED blinking away, then switch on their lights

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
User3143 said:
It's makes you a better cyclist cause you are more alert, use the light from cars overtaking to see the road ahead. Be cautious about the size of vehicle overtaking you and check behind to see what traffic is doing.

Sorry but that is bollocks!

So, coming up to an roundabout (we call them islands where I am from), the bloke in his car can't see you're doing about 28 MPH and all is clear your side .... and still pulls out?

I've had it done (with lights and the tw*t didn't even stop). It didn't make me a better cyclist - it made me a shoot scared cyclist.

Sorry mate, but if you want to ride on the road, use the rules of the road. That means lights.

hackbike 6

2lxccww.jpg

Yeah that reminds me of something I lifted from the paper yesterday,

MOT for bikes and other stuff...I'll post it up soon.

yenrod

I run one LED on the back (seatpost) and have a helmet mounted LED - though I am going to ADD to that a flashing LED, too!

Riding at night is a real survival episode.

you've got to put yourself in primary as its so often called here quite a lot of the time if not push towards the position..- to make yourself VISIBLE

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
yenrod said:
to make yourself VISIBLE

When you're colourblind like me, this bit is quite ironic:biggrin:

I'm a helmet-sceptic (wear one on the vanity road bike, bare-headed for commuting) but a light-evangelist. I know there are arguments against too many lights giving conflicting information to drivers (I think Cyclecraft has something to say about it), but being seen is most of the battle for night-riding.

User3143 - can't agree with you on this. The chances are a vehicle wouldn't be overtaking you, it'd be ploughing into you. Read my first post about the schoolgirl. I saw her by chance. Another time she would have been bonnet candy. And I look at bikes for fun.

dondare

Über Member
Both the law and common sense say ride lit.
Bike lights were an emergency wartime measure, introduced because of the number of accidents during the blackout. The CTC opposed it's continuation after the war on the grounds that it placed the onus for cyclists to be visible rather than motorists to drive more carefully after dark.
Well, they lost that one.
But a lot has changed.
So much so that I can't be bothered, right now, to spell it all out.
I ride with lights that'd show up on Google Earth, which at least will help in court.

dondare

Über Member
hackbike 6 said:
2lxccww.jpg

Yeah that reminds me of something I lifted from the paper yesterday,

MOT for bikes and other stuff...I'll post it up soon.

DON'T GET ME STARTED!!

I actually get a few of my letters to these free rags printed from time to time, so I'll compose a suitable one on this subject.

Appologies to Picts&Scots who don't get them...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
dondare said:
So much so that I can't be bothered, right now, to spell it all out.
I ride with lights that'd show up on Google Earth, which at least will help in court.
OK Lighting cock flight :evil: Lupine Betty - 1440 lumens. Top fikking trumps!

hackbike 6

dondare said:
DON'T GET ME STARTED!!

I actually get a few of my letters to these free rags printed from time to time, so I'll compose a suitable one on this subject.

Appologies to Picts&Scots who don't get them...

Errr sorry just what I found in da rag.:evil:

Top Bottom