Cyclists without lights....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
Bollo said:
OK Lighting cock flight :evil: Lupine Betty - 1440 lumens. Top fikking trumps!

Cateye singleshot plus forward; with a couple of others angled to the side to attract the attention of motorists turning into or pulling out of side roads. 2 Cateye 1100s and a Blackburn Mars as tailgunner and a TL-AU BS just to make it legal.

I know that some Maglights and Sabrelights give 5,000,000 candlepower but lighting the road ahead, and being seen, is more important than being able to put a spot on the Moon.

As an aside, I visited a lighthouse recently and was amazed to find that they use just one car headlamp bulb. With the right mirrors and prisms, and directed out over the sea where there isn't any competition, it shows up for miles.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't give a toss whether 'it's the law'. It's about being visible to people doing 30, give or take, in vehicles weighing upwards of a ton. Not having lights is moronic, period.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Just a quick tip for those of you who are smart enough to use lights: Try mounting an extra headlamp low on the side of the fork. It causes objects in your path to cast a long shadow, and show up better.

Joe

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
User3143 said:
It's makes you a better cyclist cause you are more alert, use the light from cars overtaking to see the road ahead. Be cautious about the size of vehicle overtaking you and check behind to see what traffic is doing.

It might make YOU more alert, but I think that over half the people that do it are the type that don't understand cyclecraft, hug the kerb, don't look behind etc.

PBancroft

User3143 said:

Yup.

1 cyclist without lights.

+

1 car driver who doesn't see you.

=

2 ruined lives.

Perry

A responsible cyclist would use lights at night.

I do a lot of night riding, quite often cars pull out on me even though they do see me. It seems they don't realise the speed bikes are doing or just don't care.

Perry

User3143 said:
what about if I see the motorist and act before they see me? which is often the case when I am riding at night.

I make you right, but what if you don't see them? Surely your health & safety is worth the price of a light.

PBancroft

hackbike 6 said:
Not really,I doubt whether some motorists would really care,esp when it isn't their fault.

I think that's a bit unfair. Motorists are human beings, and whilst they may end up winning a court case against any dangerous driving offence or similar, they would almost certainly be affected for having killed or seriously injured someone.

Not everyone is like that Taxi Driver from a few days ago who blatantly didn't care. Most people are "normal"

User3143 said:
what about if I see the motorist and act before they see me? which is often the case when I am riding at night.

Often? Or always?

You might well be right, you could well be the Invincible Gonzales and immune to the legal requirements as well. However, I think that there's a distinct possibility that you're just being a dick. Don't be like that, just stick the lights on your bike.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
So you're travelling along a road and a car comes from the opposite direction wanting to turn right across your path... do you just stop and wait for him as he probably hasn't seen you... or do you plough on and hope you make it either before he turns or after he's gone?

If you ride at night without lights you are a muppet. Simple really.

Top Bottom