Cyclists without lights....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

Cunobelin said:
The problem though as I have posted beforeis not always the lighting, butthe response. I am still fequently experience vehicles pulling out or overtaking dodgily, not because I am unlit, but because they simply do not react in an appropriate manner!

Absolutely. People will do that in broad daylight, but they're a different type of dangerous driver. They're the ones who are either ill-informed or don't give a shoot. They need to be combated with education.

In my view you have to give yourself a fighting chance. Not using lights makes you that much less likely to be seen, and to see other hazards. No one solution is ever a catch-all.

Jaded

Should badgers be forced to use lights?

PBancroft

Jaded said:
Should badgers be forced to use lights?

I'm not entirely sure what point you're making there. Last time I checked, badgers didn't have the mental faculty nor the physical attributes necessary to strap lights to themselves. They probably don't understand what cars are beyond 'big bastard thing which kills them sometimes if they walk on the hard stuff'.

Human beings, on the other hand, are a fair bit smarter than that. Some, anyway.

Meh, feck it. I'm off for a ride.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
so does your regular RLJing admission.
Without wishing to go OT, might I be allowed to interject a protest at the word 'admission'? Also, of course badgers should be required to wear lights. Also hedgehogs.

hackbike 6

I think BM is entitled to cycle in the middle of the road if he wants.Why do people have to do a dangerous close overtake to save a few seconds?
Is it because they are thick and think it is clever?

Jaded

Kaipaith said:
I'm not entirely sure what point you're making there. Last time I checked, badgers didn't have the mental faculty nor the physical attributes necessary to strap lights to themselves. They probably don't understand what cars are beyond 'big bastard thing which kills them sometimes if they walk on the hard stuff'.

Human beings, on the other hand, are a fair bit smarter than that. Some, anyway.

Meh, feck it. I'm off for a ride.

I guessed you wouldn't understand.

You see, you look at it from the badger's responsibility, not the driver's responsibility.

wafflycat

Last time I checked it wasn't a legal requirement for a badger or a hedgehog to be wearing lights at night. It is a legal requirement for a cyclist. Lights cost hardly anything to buy - there is no excuse for not having 'be seen by' lights front & rear when cycling.

PBancroft

Jaded said:
I guessed you wouldn't understand.

You see, you look at it from the badger's responsibility, not the driver's responsibility.

It's not so much I don't understand, it's that I don't appreciate the point you are making. I don't believe that badgers are on a par with humans.

If someone plows into a badger in their 4x4, the beast gets pushed to the side of the road if its lucky. The driver will probably be somewhat annoyed and/or upset about the damage done to his car.

If someone plows into User3143 on the other hand, my bet is there are a hefty number of people who will be majorly affected. His loved ones, for starters, his wider circle of friends - truth be told, as much as I disagree with him if I heard that anyone on this board had been killed on the road, I think I would be affected - and also the driver himself and his family.

Yes, the driver probably would be cleared of dangerous driving charges if Lee did nothing to make himself visible... but my bet is that running someone over isn't something that makes you sleep easily at night.

As I said before, as human beings we should all take the responsibility to make traveling on the roads as safe as possible. That includes making ourselves seen so that other people can see us in good time and react accordingly.

And just to be absolute-vodka-ly clear on this, I am not suggesting that any driver should be dissolved of any responsibility either. This means that all drivers should be alert and attentive as well - but since we know that isn't always the case, we should have the extra bases covered as well.

Andy 71

I used to remark on people without lights, but don't bother so much now. I mean, if they are so thick as to not understand why lights are important (especially in cities) I wouldn't hold much chance of getting through to them.

A couple of conversations I had went something like this:

ME: Excuse me mate/friend, where's your lights?
THEM: Eh?
ME: Your lights. It's quite dark and a bit dangerous to not have them.
THEM: Can't afford it.
ME: Don't take this the wrong way, but you can afford £5 for that pack of fags in your breast pocket but you can't afford the same amount for a cheap lights.
THEM: Silence.
ME: Argos do a cheap set - £4.99 - Surely your life is worth that. I can point you to the nearest store if you'd like.
THEM: Silence.
ME: Look (gestures towards cab drivers/buses) - Don't give them an excuse to mow you down - you won't have a leg to stand on with no lights. Don't want to see you hurt friend.
THEM: I know / I hear what you're saying.

dondare

Über Member
lee; what are your priorities? Cycling after dark without lights is illegal and dangerous; filtering inside HGVs is dangerous but not illegal. You are so down on cyclists who filter but are quite happy to justfy cycling unlit.

And don't get me started on RLJing.

kikzen

User3143 said:
Point taken Pal(very good!), but in his post he is so sanctomonius it almost made me cringe. I wish I knew where my local Argos was;). Stop being so patronising to other cyclists Andy 71. I have seen countless cyclists at night without lights do I preach to them? (no jokes about me not seeing them or me being hypocritical please) I don't because it's not my business to. The person you spoke to probably thought that they were five years old again and back at school.

if someone told you to get some lights (for your own good!!), youd tell them it wasnt any of their business? well, no i suppose it isnt in the sense that it probably wont have a direct impact on their lives if you got hit from not beinging visible - but ultimately theyre just trying to help, and as long as their tone isnt ridiculously patronising then it should be taken in the good faith its intended with.

and 'it's not your business' - if you saw a little kid getting mugged, i guess you wouldnt help either, for the same reason?

Top Bottom