Cyclo-cross over MTB for all-winter use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I am contemplating selling my Trek 6000 MTB and getting a Revolution Cross Sport '13 for my winter commute and cycle gravel track type rides.

I have used the MTB safely for the last three winters and wonder the cyclocross will be as safe with knobblies on ice and snow?

Any feedback welcome

T

Globalti

Legendary Member
Absolutely. A CX bike has a long stable geometry for handling off road and is perfect for mixed riding including on snow and ice, with the right tyres. During the last snow I went out on the Tricross fitted with 23mm road tyres for a ride with two buddies on standard road bikes. We found ourselves on a narrow country lane with long areas of compacted snow, which I was able to ride over with confidence while they were pooping their pants. The Tricross is an ideal all-purpose bike though I wouldn't want to do proper CX racing on it. With panniers and a rack it makes an excellent tourer and the disc brakes are pefectly suited to the kind of riding it prefers. Taken out on a mountain bike club night ride it flew up the hills well ahead of the heavy FS bkes and did extremely well on mixed terrain and muddy narrow singletrack. The only time when it was poor was on rocky downhills. My only criticism is the toe overlap.

I am also thinking of selling my mountain bike; I haven't ridden it for 11 months now.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We've grown up together; my Global has taken me through lots of adventures. It certainly would hurt.

....and I'd have to change my forum name!

Top Bottom