Cyclo Cross . Todmorden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I noticed the last couple of years there has been a CX Race in Todmorden around Dec/Jan time.

Does anyone know if there's one this year too?

Thanks

Gaz

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's held on a bastard-hard circuit in Centre Vale park Todmorden every January. In 2012, it will be on Monday 2nd.

I went to see the Nationals there a few years back. I walked to the steep cobbled climb and stayed there for a few laps, then walked the rest of the circuit to watch the action elsewhere. On the first lap, about 75% of the riders got up the climb on their bikes. I think towards the end, only one guy was able to do it. It looked really full-on hard!

The top competitors had two bikes each and were swapping them by a stream every lap. Their helpers would wash the muddy gunk out of their bikes ready to swapped back next lap. The riders with only one bike were struggling with mud build-up later on.

Anyway, I found this video on YouTube. Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough! :thumbsup:

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu5PkU2D-mo[/media]

Description here.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
It's held on a bastard-hard circuit in Centre Vale park Todmorden every January. In 2012, it will be on Monday 2nd.

I went to see the Nationals there a few years back. I walked to the steep cobbled climb and stayed there for a few laps, then walked the rest of the circuit to watch the action elsewhere. On the first lap, about 75% of the riders got up the climb on their bikes. I think towards the end, only one guy was able to do it. It looked really full-on hard!

The top competitors had two bikes each and were swapping them by a stream every lap. Their helpers would wash the muddy gunk out of their bikes ready to swapped back next lap. The riders with only one bike were struggling with mud build-up later on.

Anyway, I found this video on YouTube. Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu5PkU2D-mo[/media]

Description here.

Growing up round that park I know all about it's brutishness :0)

I think if it snows- ill do it- no mud then you see :0)

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Hang on, the whole point of cyclocross is mud

Stop ...right...there...

I don't ever want to hear such nonsense - now, where's the baby wipes ???

I have a road bike to polish !!!

Christopher

Über Member
I think it was Helen Wyman who commentated on the different taste and textures of mud around these fine isles... if you lose a shoe in a mud pit it isn't half irritating. Then your pretty 2x10 speed jams up and becomes a grinding singlespeed as the mechs clog solid, then you slide all over the place 'cause of the mud, then you grind to a halt in it and have wrench your bike out of the mud before sqelching off and then mud and leaves and cut grass jams the wheels and and and... doesn't hurt when you fall off though! :hello:

DTD

Veteran
Went last year – really enjoyable day out. Will certainly try to get there this year too.
Remember one chap covered in mud panting his way to the top of some steps, just managing to gasp "Good course" to the fella who organised it.

Svendo

Guru

I walk past and along that cobbled path every now and then with the dog, and ride past the top of it occasionaly on DogHouse Lane. I have considered having a go on the road bike but think it's in the same category as The Buttress in Hebden Bridge, only do-able in perfect conditions (and most likely with a compact or triple.)

Think I'm working on the second otherwise I'd drag the family along to watch.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have considered having a go on the road bike but think it's in the same category as The Buttress in Hebden Bridge, only do-able in perfect conditions (and most likely with a compact or triple.)
They had a hill climb race up there this summer but the organisers cheated and started it above the ultra-steep bottom section (for those who don't know it - see below)!

buttress.jpg

Svendo

Guru
They had a hill climb race up there this summer but the organisers cheated and started it above the ultra-steep bottom section (for those who don't know it - see below)!

buttress.jpg
Lightweights, using Mountain bikes indeed... (not that I've made it on the road bike but did most of the top section and 2/3rds of the bottom bit.)

Top Bottom