Cyclocross bike that accepts wide tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazingsaddles

Other than the Surly Crosscheck can anyone please advise of a Cyclocross bike that accepts Wide tyres also?

Thanks,
bs

jpembroke

How wide are we talking here? All cross bike are designed to take wide tyres.

jpembroke

Wow! That's a big tyre. Which tyres were you thinking of? And what do you want to do with the bike? Cross bike usually run tyres between 28mm and 35mm so quite a bit smaller. Mind you, my Planet X Uncle John has plenty of room for larger tyres should I ever want them.

Is this for heavy duty touring by any chance? If it is then it's worth noting that a lot of cross bike don't have mounts for racks or bottle cages.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
mr-marty-martin said:
ive only saw a like single speed 29'r with tyes that big

that was what i was thinking.
A cyclocross bike will be good up to 35ish
a 29er will take up to 2.3/5ish

and then you get the surly pugsley :angry:

OP
OP
blazingsaddles

blazingsaddles

I wanted an allrounder really and my uses would be on road 40-80 mile trips or and also on tracks that can be quite stoney and bumby in places, but not unmanagable.

A Surly Crosscheck would be suitable for my needs but I reckon a good inch or two more clearance between myself and the top tube would be more preferable on the rough stuff. So I was therefore thinking perhaps about a compact frame geometry and the ability to take the same size tyres as the Surly. A sort of freaky allrounder, but definately capable on the road also.

The Pugsley:That's the one that bloke rode across the Australian dessert; epic.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
blazingsaddles said:
I wanted an allrounder really and my uses would be on road 40-80 mile trips or and also on tracks that can be quite stoney and bumby in places, but not unmanagable.

A Surly Crosscheck would be suitable for my needs but I reckon a good inch or two more clearance between myself and the top tube would be more preferable on the rough stuff. So I was therefore thinking perhaps about a compact frame geometry and the ability to take the same size tyres as the Surly. A sort of freaky allrounder, but definately capable on the road also.

the Surly Karate Monkey would give you the sizing you need with the slope on the top tube and the tyre clearance. The Crosscheck will take up to 45mm with guards but the straight top tube means a big bike, I've got the 60cm frame. I'm not happy with my 'pub' bike, the frame's a bit small but the parts are good, Mavic A719 rims etc. so I'm looking at switching the stuff onto a KM frame and running Marathon Big Apple or Supreme tyres at 50mm. Give me a bike that can go on road and do trails with the kids. I was planning on running it with a single 42t chainring and a 8/9 speed 11-34 cassette. Without rack or guards that builds up to around 26lbs in weight, not bad for a bike that versatile, and with those huge tyres.

Ideally what I'll do is have 2 wheelsets for it, the Mavic A719's with the Marathon Supremes for road stuff. Then a second set built around the Rigida Sputnik rims, with knobblier tyres, for rougher stuff(but that may be just wishful thinking). Same cassette etc so literally just a case of swapping wheels. I'm also looking at the KM frameset for one of my boys next bikes.

Regardless, if you want more clearance for tyres, and crotch, than the Xcheck then you need to be thinking 29er frame.

jpembroke

You don't need massive tyres for riding on the odd stoney track. 35mm would be fine. Otherwise it'll be really sluggish when on the road and that'll no doubt be where you ride it most of the time. Something like a Schwalbe Land Cruiser 35mm would be a good (and cheap!) option.

RedBike

This is more or less exactly the sort of bike i'm after too.

I've more or less decided to go for the slot dropout inbred 29er. The only trouble is they've been out of stock for months :smile:

Failing that I might go for something like the Cotic Roadrat. Run it with wide-ish 26" wheels for the rough stuff and slicker 29er wheels for the pub.

OP
OP
blazingsaddles

blazingsaddles

MacB said:
the Surly Karate Monkey would give you the sizing you need with the slope on the top tube and the tyre clearance. The Crosscheck will take up to 45mm with guards but the straight top tube means a big bike, I've got the 60cm frame. I'm not happy with my 'pub' bike, the frame's a bit small but the parts are good, Mavic A719 rims etc. so I'm looking at switching the stuff onto a KM frame and running Marathon Big Apple or Supreme tyres at 50mm. Give me a bike that can go on road and do trails with the kids. I was planning on running it with a single 42t chainring and a 8/9 speed 11-34 cassette. Without rack or guards that builds up to around 26lbs in weight, not bad for a bike that versatile, and with those huge tyres.

Ideally what I'll do is have 2 wheelsets for it, the Mavic A719's with the Marathon Supremes for road stuff. Then a second set built around the Rigida Sputnik rims, with knobblier tyres, for rougher stuff(but that may be just wishful thinking). Same cassette etc so literally just a case of swapping wheels. I'm also looking at the KM frameset for one of my boys next bikes.

Regardless, if you want more clearance for tyres, and crotch, than the Xcheck then you need to be thinking 29er frame.

I've looked at the Karate Monkey and think it looks great but I think I still want the ability of the Cross Check on the road, so I reckon the best thing for me is perhaps to alter the top tube on a Cross Check. That I suppose would sort it out along with a set of One On Midge bars.
I do also own a 60cm Cross Check and its a great bike but this project is for leaving in Spain with family so I don't have to transport it when I go twice a year. There's lots of tracks and quiet roads there. I could only leave one bike there though so I'm trying to find the bike to suite the best of both worlds i.e. rough tracks and the road.

OP
OP
blazingsaddles

blazingsaddles

RedBike said:
This is more or less exactly the sort of bike i'm after too.

I've more or less decided to go for the slot dropout inbred 29er. The only trouble is they've been out of stock for months :thumbsup:

Failing that I might go for something like the Cotic Roadrat. Run it with wide-ish 26" wheels for the rough stuff and slicker 29er wheels for the pub.

I do like the look of those Roadrats but unfortunately I reckon both the straight and drop bars versions are a couple of cm too short for me. On one are always out of stock too (they must be good)!

Top Bottom