Cyclocross bike that accepts wide tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
blazingsaddles said:
I do like the look of those Roadrats but unfortunately I reckon both the straight and drop bars versions are a couple of cm too short for me. On one are always out of stock too (they must be good)!

Yep, top tube geometry can be an issue, in my case it's due to my choice of bars. Most geometry seems to assume the additional length of stem and then forward sweep of bars from clamp line. If your bars sweep back, then they negate some, or all, of the stem length. I'm not getting rid of my Crosscheck but felt the KM would be a better all round beast. The Crosscheck is also reserved for commuting only and I didn't really want to buy another identical bike. I have the same concerns you have re the sacrifice of the Crosschecks road ability. But I've read a few reviews that rate the KM pretty close on road when set up right. The KM top tube effective lengths are also longer than most frames I've looked at, without also getting a silly long seat tube. In my view you can run either CC or KM with anything from 23 to 50mm tyres on 700c rims. They can both take SS, fixed, gears, hub gears, rack and guards. The stock forks both have long steerer tubes allowing plenty of experimentation before cutting down. The CC's higher and squarer and the KM longer and lower, if that makes sense. It's about a 1lb weight penalty for the KM over the CC but the KM will take more abuse and bigger tyres.

During my original selection process I looked closely at On-One, Cotic and various frame builders offerings. One of the aspects that swung me is how many Surly frames, or bikes, you see up for sale second hand. I know my search was far from exhaustive but I definitely got the impression of bikes people keep hold of.

When I complete my KM your welcome to try it out against the CC if you're ever in the Hampshire neck of the woods.

OP
OP
blazingsaddles

blazingsaddles

When I complete my KM your welcome to try it out against the CC if you're ever in the Hampshire neck of the woods.[/QUOTE]

Thanks,

Looks like a few people think much the same about a versatile 700c/29er. I bought my Crosscheck frame 2nd hand, initially to put old stuff on, but then I thought instead about speccing it up properly with a paint job and all.
I got a local frame builder who works from home and is very well priced and reputed by all the lbs to put rack bosses on the front forks, a rear canti bridge, put in a longer steerer as the original had been cut, an extra bottle cage boss, and a pump peg. Its well sorted and a great ride. The set up is bar end shifters with on one Midge bars and Deore mountain bike set up. Wheels are xt 36h hubs with DRC st19 rims. This is my everyday bike here and gets used in winter too.
It was my thinking that the same fellow could lower the top tube of another Crosscheck frame making it compact. I'd have to buy another used one though for that.
I hope the KM build goes well. Certainly Surly make bikes that seem a bit wacky but when you look into them they seem to make sense.

MacB

blazingsaddles said:
I hope the KM build goes well. Certainly Surly make bikes that seem a bit wacky but when you look into them they seem to make sense.

Ta, yeah, wacky could be it, as I looked for geometry not made with flat bars, or drops, in mind, they seem to tick more boxes for me. I still want a Van Nicholas Amazon though:biggrin:

Stephenite

Membå
At the mo' i'm running on 40mm studded tyres on a Kona Jake The Snake. The studs'll bring it up to 42mm (ish). A very confident ride thru 2 or 3 inches of snow. The bike will take 50mm, but there won't be room for mudguards.

MacB

Stephenite said:
At the mo' i'm running on 40mm studded tyres on a Kona Jake The Snake. The studs'll bring it up to 42mm (ish). A very confident ride thru 2 or 3 inches of snow. The bike will take 50mm, but there won't be room for mudguards.

What's it like riding studded tyres in snow? genuinely curious never ridden either part of the equation.

Top Bottom